recording devices - roland VSR/VS over software?

NeoMagick

So I'm primarily a performer, but every once in a while the urge strikes to record something to get an idea down. For a few years I was using a studio PC w/ Cubase, Reason, and a Motu 828mkII. A rocking system, except that I discovered I had pretty severe ADD when it came down to tracking. Every time I went to create the effect I was looking for, I found 5 others (or blinking lights, even worse), and completely lost what I wanted. I think I had too many options.

Fortunately, I accidentally plugged in the fireware cable to my 828mkII backwards a year and a half ago, and rendered it useless as an interface (power to data = pzztt). Still a rockin preamp & pass thru though. I pipe it to my DBX 2ch compressor - nice sound.

Shortly after the short-out, I bought a Roland VS-880 Ex. that I used seldom few times (got married, a career, moved, life, etc). Sold it a few days ago cuz it was just sitting around.

Using the Roland the few times I did was a pretty straight forward experience. Despite the console being small (esp. the screen), it gave a decent sound, and it was easy enough to plug in (mic or line level, very cool) and hit the record button. I tinkered with it enough to know that the effects boards were awesome sounding, but it was hard getting them to work in a way that would record what I wanted (clean track, effects track, bounced track, etc). I also didn't have the manual, and I did have a short attention span.

I'm thinking about what to get next. Replace the VS880? Get a 1680? Forget it and go with an 8 track reel to reel?

I use pedals for effects - what I do on tape I need to do live - so that's not much of a concern. I'm looking mostly for a digital multitrack hard drive recording deck, I guess.

Anyone use the VS-880, VSR-880, or the VS-1680/equivalent as their main tracker? What'd you think? Would you do it again? Any other suggestions or preferences? I'm all rack-ears.

NeoMagick said:
I bought a Roland VS-880 Ex. that I used seldom few times (got married, a career, moved, life, etc). Sold it a few days ago cuz it was just sitting around..
NeoMagick said:
I'm thinking about what to get next. Replace the VS880? Get a 1680?
NeoMagick said:
...and I did have a short attention span
I'd say!!! :eek:

You should probably steer clear of the VSR-880, not inuitive at all (I don't know anyone who hasn't struggled with it...) and if choosing between the 880 or 1680... let your budget decide. They're both great units for putting ideas down quickly and easily

I used a 1680 extensively for tracking since we record in our practice space where I can't load up my computer every time. I have a mixer that stays at our practice area and I just hook the VS up whenever we need to record.

There are a couple of problems with the older Roland VS machines.

1) Many people say the pres are not that great. I don't have the best ear yet but I think they are just fine.

2) The biggest issue I had was when I had to transfer my data from the VS into the computer. It supports SPDIF+MIDI as well as optical in and just play 1/4 in but the issue becomes you have to PLAY real-time to get it recorded into your DAW. That means, if I had 16 tracks, I had to play the song 8 times (I can import two tracks at time using the L and R channels).

Now there was just a major breakthrough (back in Jan.) where three of the VS users over on the vsplanet reverse engineered the proprietary RDAC format that the VS records in and can extract the .wav information. This means you can back-up all your songs on CD or to an external drive, and import all the tracks at once! This is huge for VS users.

3) Using punching in and out on the song can be pain if you don't have a clean break in the song. It can be annoying to try and get the recording to start on a 0 crossing. This is probably me not being very good on it. Also, if you do the song in one take, you don't have to worry about it :P

4) Roland doesn't really support these anymore to my knowledge. They would prefer you buy a newer system I think :)

Other than that, I love the thing. It has been very reliable and has a nice interface. It has LOTS of community support over on vsplanet. The manuals are notoriously not that great however.

Hope this helps.

- Mike

Back