Recording Bass

Rockr56

Anybody got any tips on how to record a bass guitar? I'm not a Bass player so my technique is lousy. The problem I'm having is the bass line too loud in some parts; too soft in others. Running bass thru preamp then compressor and I can hear the compression but still get the uneven levels. How do I get a nice even bass line? Is this totally a technique thing? What comp. settings do you use? Thanks.

a good bass track is 90% player.

end of story.

took me about 3 D.I. boxes, 2 compressors, and eventually an Avalon U5 to figure out why my tracks wern't sounding like people with 1/10th my gear.

start practicing.

i'm getting to the point where my bass playing technique is good enough that it is listenable without compression, and pretty darn good with compression.

i play with my fingertips across the string rather than plucking the string, because i've found that i get less string pop that way. of course, string pop might be what you are looking for.

here's a hint. until my playing got more even handed, i was using a compression ratio of about 6:1 with an attack setting that let some of the pluck come through.

then i would go into the DAW and make clip volume adjustments around the more egregrious notes, so that the compressor was used to smooth out the bass rather than compensating for the uneven playing.

bass guitarists will probably think you are lame, but you can always play with a pick. It can add character to the sound of your instrument and there's more consistency for a non-bass player. Although I can and have recorded without using a pick, my music sounds better with that character of sound added to it.

Still, you need to practice though, both with and without a pick.

Cy

Cyrokk said:
bass guitarists will probably think you are lame, but you can always play with a pick.
Playing with a pick is not lame. After 10 years of playing I dare to say that I can deliver a compression free, even played bass track with my fingers any time of day but playing with a pick is sometimes what a song needs. If it sounds right, I enjoy playing with a pick just as much as playing with my fingers.

But yeah, there is no shortcut for practicing. And people who say that their restricted technique gives them their unique sound (you'll probably all know at least one), in other words who are too lame to practice should get their asses kicked.

crosstudio said:
here's a hint. until my playing got more even handed, i was using a compression ratio of about 6:1 with an attack setting that let some of the pluck come through.

Are you compressing as you record (live) or compressing after you've already laid down the tracks?

Thanks, J

Back