Recording Bass...

Daniel | Davis

Hello all, I'm starting to track a bunch of new music I'm writing. I just finished what I think anyway is a comfortable performance of the bassline.

A little background information first:
-Apple Macbook: 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
-Running Logic Express 8 with Firepod
-Bass is a Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz
-Amp is a small 1x12 Marshall Tube Combo amp for guitar, but I'm playing at a reasonable state to not damage the amp
-SM57 slightly at rim of cone
-Room is a very large square with carpet and all surfaces are wood-family's house that I'm currently residing out until I move into my new place this summer.
-Amp is miced and on far side of room with two comforters over to in an attempt isolate any creaky noises (this is an old place!)
-Drums are DFH
-No EQ or post production whatsoever yet, I figure I'll just track down each instrument until I get a good performance on each and then I'll touch up at mixdown.
-Other instruments are not yet recorded. If you're curious to what the big picture for this will be, please feel free to check out the sequenced MIDI file of the entire here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/k3vzyq . This may help you to grasp what I'm aiming for. I'm really attempting to take my time with this stuff and self-produce a bunch of songs like this, I have about an EP's worth of copyrighted material like this (that I play with my band in PA) that I'd like to turn into a listenable form of real audio!

http://tindeck.com/listen/pnbm

So basically, how does it sound? Am I headed in the right direction by this mentality or am I missing something key?

edit: I just realized that I think I used the wrong cymbal for a bunch of parts. I have a slightly open hi-hat wherever I wanted a fully open one. Argh.

Last edited:
What's that harsh rattle going on and on? Sounds like you've mic'd the snare rattle whilst playing bass.
The 2nd part sounds better - growly bass but it's hard to comment on a mix that's just bass and drums.
Basically your cymbals don't come through very well.

What's that harsh rattle going on and on? Sounds like you've mic'd the snare rattle whilst playing bass.
The 2nd part sounds better - growly bass but it's hard to comment on a mix that's just bass and drums.
Basically your cymbals don't come through very well.

Well the drums are all Drumkit From Hell, so the only rationale I'd have for that is maybe the mic picked up sounds from the vibrating drums across the room? Damn, looks like I'll be retracking with either isolating the amp better or just getting those drums outta there during the tracking!

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm showing this mix so far because I could really use help during the whole process, and eliminate any dumb mistakes in my personal method. I'm also hesitant while tracking, as I'm too critical in my performance and I'll end up restarting the process of recording a track every time I make a small mistake rather than fumbling with too much editing. This makes the tracking process a long and frustrating process for me. However, since I want to take these new tunes more seriously, I suppose I should take editing more seriously as well. Oh well, thank you so much!

EDIT: You know, the rattling could also be the grill gloth, actually. Argh, maybe I should stick to DI bass instead. Should've never sold my old bass amp, but needed to pay rent! ;)
EDIT2: I found it! Would you believe it was an old heater behind the amp, that the cover was loose? And since it was right behind the amp, I'm sure the SM57 caught it. Tightened up the screws and moved the amp to a quieter location. I also put away the snare drum across the room for good measure. Man, you must have great ears! I would've never caught that!!!

Last edited:
Best bet - split the signal from the bass, record DI & Mic'd then BLEND - beautiful.
Also try this technique when mixing the bass:
OCTAVE REPLACEMENT EQ - TYPICAL SETTINGS
Frequency 100 Hz Level -6 dB Q 1.4
Frequency 200 Hz Level +5 dB Q 1.4

Best bet - split the signal from the bass, record DI & Mic'd then BLEND - beautiful.
Also try this technique when mixing the bass:
OCTAVE REPLACEMENT EQ - TYPICAL SETTINGS
Frequency 100 Hz Level -6 dB Q 1.4
Frequency 200 Hz Level +5 dB Q 1.4

That blending idea sounds good, I think I'll try that at some point!
I'm a total dunce with EQ terms. I just slightly fiddle with what I can. I'm guessing that means take away 6dB at around 100 Hz with a Q range of 1.4, and the respective values for the 200 Hz area too?

oh, that sounds better than I expected after reading the explanation and the comments. Maybe I don't know bass tone that well, but I think with a little eq, that would sound just fine. Blending with a dry signal can add a nice touch, but isn't necessary. And I don't hear any rattling snare drum.

Hello all, thanks for all the responses so far. I tracked the bass again for that song and I think I got a better performance out of it. Also re-programmed the drums for a little more dynamic change.

http://tindeck.com/listen/lwls

I also recorded a little atonal groove and copied the bass track into a separate track and used a distortion plug in Logic in my n00b attempt to blend sounds together.

http://tindeck.com/listen/dvxq

EDIT: Man, now in that second test, I think the drums are too soft! I must've had Pre-Fader Metering still on and got a skewed idea of the DFH peaks. Here's another mixdown without the Pre-Fader Metering on, hopefully it's better. I don't think that other song suffered this same problem, do you?

http://tindeck.com/listen/wrrb

Last edited:
It could be bad cymbals or something but the effect is the same as a snare rattling LOUD & buzzy.

Back