recording bass

ThePhoenix

would it be wiser to run my bass into a preamp, and then straight into my computer? or should i mic the bass amp? if i do mic the bass amp, should i use a condensor or dynamic mic?

also, shouldl i use a condensor when playing the clean channel of my guitar amp?

should i mic the bass amp?
No.

Because of the problems with controlling bass frequencies in anything less than a truly purpose-designed recording studio, bass is almost always recorded direct.

shouldl i use a condensor when playing the clean channel of my guitar amp?
You mean when you're recording it? Most people use a dynamic.

Try both! Going direct is usually easier, but both are common practice, sometimes even together. All kinds of mics can be used, although you generally want one with an honest response in the lower frequencies.

bass recording!

I tried miking my bass amp, then into my micpreamp, then into my Tascam tape recorder. The signal varied along with my playing and could not get a consistent
good sound. I tried playing the bass direct into the Tascam tape recorder. Weak signal could not use it. I almost bought a preowned Bass Pod to record to tape, but that would have been $200.00 more or less. I finally gave up tryinig to record bass direct and bought a Bass Sound Card for my Yamaha Sy77 keyboard. It has about 64 voices, plus the signal going from keybd to tape is stable. That was $25.00. And that's what I'm using until I can afford the Bass Pod.

Try em' both like AGCurry said, and use what you like. There is NO set formula for recording any instrument. There are tips and tricks, but it really is up to what you think sounds good.
As for mics, use a dynamic, then a condenser, then both. See what sounds best to you! I know it's a bit broad, but the more you fuck with your sound the more you'll learn what you like. And there really is no wrong answer.

I've used my POD. I just use the Bassman 4x10 setting and lots of compression to keep it consistant. If you use a preamp or mic., try using some compression to squash the signal a little. It helps with the levels. Even a stomp box compressor is better than nothing. PS: ...also good for acoustic guitar as well.

I like to record direct and at the same time record through and amp and then at mixdown the two channels with more of the direct sound and use the miced channel as a kind of ambiance. Works out nice like that, but when it comes down to either mmicing or going to direct I would choose direct. Going direct just seems to catch everything better than micing if you are on home studio budget equipment.

hi

*bardges in, goofally knocking down the fine china*

im trying to record bass direct. my home studio setup is of the most precarious... as i have nothing except the bass, the guitar and a cheap generica 20 watt guitar amp.

so im recording my bass line direct into sound forge, and its just not coming out right. muddled sound... low gain.

any ideas of what i can do? like basic EQing... or... something?

thanks
sorry about the china

Fetusborg said:
hi

*bardges in, goofally knocking down the fine china*

im trying to record bass direct. my home studio setup is of the most precarious... as i have nothing except the bass, the guitar and a cheap generica 20 watt guitar amp.

so im recording my bass line direct into sound forge, and its just not coming out right. muddled sound... low gain.

any ideas of what i can do? like basic EQing... or... something?

thanks
sorry about the china

To record bass direct to the computer with any decent result, you'll need a preamp/DI. The bass' pickups need to be amplified before the soundcard or you will just get a weak crappy signal that no amount of effects or EQ will fix. You could get an ART Tube MP for about $50 that will serve as a DI for your bass and probably improve the sound immensely.

Yeah, a DI box or a pod or similar is a neccesity for going direct. I use the Behringer DI100. It really woke my bass up when I finally bought it. If you're amp has a line out you might be able to use that instead depending on your gear.

yeah, its got a line out. but its a guitar amp. wont i bust the speaker? even recording at a low volume, just so i can line out to the sound card?

the bass has actually got a preamp built in, but i really dont know how far that actually goes recording wise.

Fetusborg said:
yeah, its got a line out. but its a guitar amp. wont i bust the speaker? even recording at a low volume, just so i can line out to the sound card?

the bass has actually got a preamp built in, but i really dont know how far that actually goes recording wise.

If it's a line level (maybe labeled pre-amp out) out you're ok. Do not plug your amps speaker output into your mixer or card or whatever you're using. Very bad thing to do. That Behringer DI box I use will actually handle that kind of input, but unless you've got a box like that, you're gonna blow something up.

owwwwwwwww shit
i already lined out from my amp to the sound card.
guitar/bass - pedal - amp - line out to sound card.

using guitar, i didnt blow anything up.

but today i tried the bass.
i dont think anything happened though.
i dont have a preamp at all... and cant get my hands on one, they are too expensive here.

i think im gonna try and handle it just going to direct from the bass to the sound card in. screw it. i'll figure something out.

thanks for the help though :)

I'm with reggaesoldier on this. Whatever works. Fart around and have some fun.I have had success with the following:

BTW I'm an analog guy but this stuff will work with DAW's

-Sans Amp
-digiTech Valve 8
- condenser mike right on the cone of JBL E140 (SWR head)
-Dynamic mike " " " " " " "
-Fishman Instrument Preamp
-straight in to the board (line level, cranked)

Finding out what your rig can do is half the fun. :D

I have been DI'ing my bass into my mixer and then into my MR-8. Sometimes I plug my Zoom processor into the mixer's aux buss and play around with it. Other times I plug into the processor and then plug that into the mixer. It's pretty noisey that way, though. I don't have a decent amp or good enough mics to be able to mic an amp, though...

I'll just agree that you really need to invest in a bass preamp to make your bass "all it can be." Of course your finances will dictate what you can afford. . . sounds like you're kind of strapped. . . we've all been there bro. . . best of luck.

PS: Just for your information, I use a SansAmp Bass Driver (about $160-180 new; $100 used) for my P-basses and a SansAmp RBI bass preamp (about $250) for my Thunderbird. I recommend the Bass Driver very highly (heck, even when I'm not high, LOL) but I would think the Bass V-amp would be your "best-bang-for-buck" option.

Q

I plug guitars and bass directly into a channel on my Behringer board. It was lacking high end and didn't sound so good until I started using a little impedance matching transformer. This is just the type you can buy at Radio Shack, cigar shaped thing that you plug a 1/4" on one end, and the other end plugs into an XLR. Probably serves the same function as a DI box. I process the bass with compression and EQ plugins after this, sounds good!

A soundcard input has much less gain though, so I'd recomend running the bass through a mixer or powered DI box first.

yeah, im kind of figuring it out the hard way that i'll need a preamp. thanks.

another question: when recording, do you usually finger pluck the strings or use a pick ?

through testing, i found out the using my finger i get a much smoother sound, and overall more BASSY.

opinnions?
thanks

**EDIT**: you guys think using a software bass simulation would get me better results? i just want a nice bass sound, i'll sell out, no problem :)
and which ones.

Back