Recording Bass Guitar

2infamouz

What are some effective ways to record electric bass guitar? I haven't had luck plugging it directly to my audio interface, even with EQ and compression I just can't achieve a good tone. Maybe it's because it's a lower end bass guitar? Should I hook it to an amp and mic the cabinet or something else?

any suggestions are appreciated, thanks

Last edited:
I always just go DI....BUT...you have to find the right DI for the bass, they don't all work equally well.

From my own experience, I've noticed that FET-based DIs seem to really go well with bass guitars...at least of the pres and DI boxes I have, the FET stuff seems to sound much better, and the bass has a very amp/live sound, like it was recorded from an amp in a room, rather than that dry/dead plunk you get with some DIs.

I just can't achieve a good tone. Maybe it's because it's a lower end bass guitar?

Well that also could be the answer, how low end is the bass? how well is it set up? how old are the strings?

While I always suggest having an amp and micing the cab as well as having a DI (or instrument input), a good bass with good strings and a good player can get a very good sound from the DI (or Instrument input) on its own.

Alan.

I've just been down this road, being relatively new to bass. I've spent about 18 months.

Things I've been told by people smarter than me:
Both DI and mic'd cab contribute differently to the sound. So Ideally use both.

Things I've discovered:

DI is much more controllable as far as even response is concerned. A DI "pedal" may also further shape the tone and or gain (distortion) of your signal.
I bought a bass amp and speaker box for rehersal and it turns out the XLR out of the amp gives the best sound by far. But not counting all of the expensive gear in the form of pedals and amps, Di to your interface and then ideally usinfg "Plugin" to simulate AMP/Mi/Room is the way to go. Otherwise, yes, I find just the DI sound even with EQ and compression just sounds too raw and not like anything you might hear on the radio.

Mic'ing the bass amp was difficult to tame. My "studio" is one big rectangular box, so even with all the mic placement and cabinet movement, I had to manage the build up of frequencies, big time.

So in direct answer to your question, yes go the mic'd cab befor the DI, unless you want to get something to better that DI sound.

...and like witzendoz said, this is all assuming that the strings and setup and near to good condition. This *will* make a huge difference and is kind of pushed aside because bass strings are expensive.

Hope this helps.

FM

Di is fine but YOUR tone is defined by what your bass going through your amp is.

I usually go with both Di and micing the amp.

Well that also could be the answer, how low end is the bass? how well is it set up? how old are the strings?

While I always suggest having an amp and micing the cab as well as having a DI (or instrument input), a good bass with good strings and a good player can get a very good sound from the DI (or Instrument input) on its own.

Alan.
It's probably one of the cheapest bass guitars you can find, i just picked it up to start practicing. New strings, tuned correctly, but a cheap guitar. I'll play around with a mic on the cabinet and other preamps. I haven't ran it directly through all my preamps yet, just tested the ones in my AI. I wanted to get an idea of what other people do though, I didn't think that was the proper way to record bass

Promises and............Piecrust !

this is all assuming that the strings and setup and near to good condition. This *will* make a huge difference and is kind of pushed aside because bass strings are expensive.
It can make a huge difference alright. New strings can make the bass tone worse. I had my bass set up early last year and got new new expensive strings and all and the tone was totally different. It was so bright and twangy and I can't say I liked it. Whereas the other strings had been on for 7 years and I loved their tone. They did what I wanted them to do.
Things are not always as wonderful as they seem on the other side of the river.

What are some effective ways to record electric bass guitar?
One of my favourite bass recording methods ~ using a Palmers Y splitter boxresize ybox.JPGI run one lead to the amp and I mic the amp, run the line out from the same amp for some added growl and go DI straight from bass to DAW via the splitter box. Blend the signal to one track eventually and Bob's your uncle.

It says something about how far recording has "progressed" since the bass guitar was first made and used that this question should be asked in the 21st century !
Lol valid point, and of course a silly question. I realize that this is the most logical way to record, but I was curious about other methods and techniques people are using, seeing how there are additional options these days. Was supposed to say "or something else?" not "or something", i corrected it.
Thanks for all the suggestions as well guys. I've been having a lot better luck implementing some of these methods vs. directly into my interface preamps. Seems my tube preamp picks up a much better tone than my interfaces preamps. RE-20 and sm58 have been doing a good job as well, but I'm going to try some other mic/amp combinations as i'm not quite where I want to be.

and of course a silly question
I was being tongue in cheek. I don't think it's a stupid question at all and you're right, there are a number of ways of recording the electric bass.
and sm58 have been doing a good job as well,
When I've miked just the amp or miked amp and gone DI or the method I describe above, I've often used an S m 5 8 and I think it records both guitar and bass really well.

Firstly - big shout out to my man 2Infamouz

personally i like to mic up anything i record (in terms of bass, guitar and even electric keys) run them through and amp and get some room sound, get some valve compression and the tone of the speakers/cabinet

On the SM58 note - 'shure' lots of people would turn there nose up to using one for recording. (sorry i just had to)

my view is as long as the source sounds great, and you position the mic correctly it will definitely sound great!

Back