Recording Bass Guitar

westg8

Hello, I'm new to recording and am having trouble recording bass guitar. Firstly, I'm running through the line output (i think it actually says pre-amp mic output i believe) of the bass amplifier directly to my soundcard) cause my mics are too crappy to mic the amp. Anyway, hopefully this isn't the problem. When i record, i can't record that loud at all or I get too much of a bassy sound. It like rumbles the speakers. And when i run it through a sony stereo with the bass thing turned up (like most listeners of rock music do - at least me) its almost overwhelming. I can't record softly, cause then you can barely hear the bass. I've tried EQ, recording with treble jacked up, etc. and nothing works.

Theres also a Line Output (w/o the mic preamp thing) which is an XLR plug. But when i plugged a cable from the lineout put (XLR end) to my soundcard (1/4" end), i don't get a signal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Some x-tra info: i'm using a delta 44 soundcard

Mic output baaaaad. Line output gooood. But you can't get a signal? Are you sure the path is line output(on amp) --> line input(on soundcard)?

If that don't fix, EQ shouldn't be the problem, I think it's input. First of all, if you jack up treble, that won't sove the problem, just make it worse. Cutting bass would be more helpful.

But like I said, it sounds like a problem with input. Boost volume on the amp itself, then cut input on the soundcard, or recorder, or whatever...

Have you tried recording direct?? A lot of people do this with good results, you might need a DI box though. Try plugging your bass right into the sound card once and see how it comes out.

Thanks for the replies. I tried recording directly to the sound card and it seems to sound pretty good (at least better than doin't it the other one - there was way too much bass. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. If anyone has yet a better solution, please post! Thanx

Steven

Back