Recording almost exclusively through a DI-box --- yay or nay?

valacirca

I don't have a great amp at all for recording (a Marshall MG30DFX) and I can't always turn up its volume. So... is recording exclusively through a DI-box such a bad thing?

My DI-box is a Behringer DI100 and the only time I've been disappointed with it is when I was trying to run distorted guitar sounds through it. When recording overdriven/distorted/fuzzy guitar sounds, I think recording an amp is still better than a DI-box even if the amp isn't a great one.

But when I was trying to lay down bass tracks, clean lead guitar tracks, tracks using a delay pedal --- it didn't sound too bad. the caveat is that I'm not exactly critical with the quality of the sound produce although I know a terrible sound when I hear it.

Anyway... that's that. DI-box: good enough?

I'm also planning to buy a reverb pedal and sustainer/compressor pedal in the near future, so you can take that into consideration for your reply as well.

Thanks!

If it sounds good, go for it. :)

I used to run DI'd guitars all the time and they didn't sound bad at all. What changed my mind was when I did a direct A/B comparison between the DI'd track and then mic'd my amp and played the same riffs.
I prefer the mic'd amp.

But, there are plenty of DI'd tunes out there that sound just fine so I figure it's your call. ;)

I'll see if buying a Sennheiser e609 makes any difference :) But for now, my dirty guitars are via amp and all the rest goes through the DI box. Thanks!

Back