recording acoustics. samples

bstarstudios

Useless Thoughts
I recorded acoustic guitar 5 ways. only two mics used were a mxl v88 and gls es57.

they are completely unprocessed, recorded into a firepod, then into logic then exported as mp3. (though one of the tracks is panned slightly left and right).

not all tracks use both mics, some only use one.

linked is my soundcloud with the samples (its one track).

i wont say whats what but let me know which you like best.

Acoustic test by iambillybrown on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

unrelated note:
investing in a pair of cascade m39's or a Kel hm-3c soon for acoustics)

The first one i thought was best, then the third one i thought was second best. Although i'm listening at an extremely low volume. (people are sleeping in my house) The other samples I thought sounded too thin.

I like three the best. Question. When you used the two mics, did you time and phase align the tracks before printing? Makes a huge difference with two mic set-ups.

sadly i realized after the fact i did not phase the two mics. so it could be better i know.

sample three was: es57 towards edge of soundhold below guitar about 8 inches away, V88 between sound hole and neck below guitar about 8 inches away

sadly i realized after the fact i did not phase the two mics. so it could be better i know.

sample three was: es57 towards edge of soundhold below guitar about 8 inches away, V88 between sound hole and neck below guitar about 8 inches away

You can correct phase issues after the fact. Just time align the tracks from the two mics and zoom in on the waveform to see if they are in phase. If not, just flip the phase on one of them. The reason I asked was that sample two sounded a little thin compared to one, almost like it was two mics out of phase. First thing that happens with phase problems is the bottom drops out.

I liked 1 and 3 the best. 2, 4 and 5 were not good. It depends on what you want to use this for. If it's in a mix, any of them could work, if it's for solo guitar stuff with vocals, I'd stick to the bigger sounding guitars.

1 - sounded a little muffled, almost like an Ovation or plugged in DI.
2 - Harsh, bad high end and too much pick attack.
3 - muffled, but smooth and more low end than the others.
4 - like 2, just less.
5 - the mids and lows are muffled, but the highs and high mids border on harsh.

Don't rule out mono. No phase issues to deal with, can sound really full. I love mono for singer song writter stuff.

Also, try EQing some...maybe add a little around 250, drop a little around 700, and drop above 7K (roll it off so it's around -2db at 7K, down to -4db around 12K). That's where I would start with the EQ on that.

Back