Recording acoustic guitar

Chalkdust

Hi

I am doing some acoustic guitar recording. I am using a Mackie 1202 VLZ to collect the signal, a Presonus Comp 16 compressor, a Duet interface and recording onto Logic. I have two questions:-

1. I hear that using a mic on one channel PLUS DI input on a separate channel is a good idea because the DI captures the bassy bits better. Do I need a DI box or is it OK to plug straight into the desk?

2. If I use two channels (ie. one for the mic and one for the DI) I assume that I should insert the compression across the channels via the auxiliary buss. Am I right?

Grateful for any help here. Thanks

Hi

I am doing some acoustic guitar recording. I am using a Mackie 1202 VLZ to collect the signal, a Presonus Comp 16 compressor, a Duet interface and recording onto Logic. I have two questions:-

1. I hear that using a mic on one channel PLUS DI input on a separate channel is a good idea because the DI captures the bassy bits better. Do I need a DI box or is it OK to plug straight into the desk?

2. If I use two channels (ie. one for the mic and one for the DI) I assume that I should insert the compression across the channels via the auxiliary buss. Am I right?

Grateful for any help here. Thanks

there's no set standard for anything in recording... grasp that concept. try both, see which you like better.

Sorry to not give you a response where you do it and it magically sounds better because thats the way its "supposed" to be done.. but there's just no such answer.

personally i dont DI acoustic guitar at all... its usually a lot lesser of a sound .... with proper mic placement you will have no need to capture a "bassier" sound with a DI.

You'd be better off with 2 mics in my opinion... there's a lot of research on micing acoustics with 2 mics... and thats standard practice... a guitar with good body should very rarely be DI'd... and personally... i'd probably never DI an acoustic guitar.

Chalkdust take a quick listen to the first post on Acoustic Recording 101 at the top of this section....
Its not only a well done example, it offers some clips that show mono versus stereo etc. that has different tones too.
I agree theres no rules on making sounds, but then again you can save a lot of time and money if some suggestions work for you.

It all depends on the overall sound you want, the guitar you use, etc etc. Like has been said, there is no ONE correct method.

I second on reading the sticky on recording acoustic guitar... very good read.

I'm not familiar with the mixer, but if it has a Hi-Z input than plugging the guitar in direct should be no problem.

thanks a lot guys, that's really helpful and your words make absolute sense to me. The artical is indeed a good read and I have a Shure pg81 and Rode NT1, which to my ear they sound great with acoustic guitar so i'll do that. Just to reiterate my second question in my thread, I am assuming that if I plug the compressor into the Aux buss of my mixer and max the dials, then the compressor will act in the same way as if it were plugged in as an 'insert' ...except now it serves all channels which means it will compress both mic inputs which is what I want - but am I right???

My advice is not to put a compressor on the lines at all - record the straight signals. Add compression as needed during mixing.

I am assuming that if I plug the compressor into the Aux buss of my mixer and max the dials, then the compressor will act in the same way as if it were plugged in as an 'insert' ...except now it serves all channels which means it will compress both mic inputs which is what I want - but am I right???

My advice is not to put a compressor on the lines at all - record the straight signals. Add compression as needed during mixing.

Appreciated, but in the event that Chalkdust does want to record with compression, is Chalkdust correct in their conclusion ?

It all depends on the overall sound you want, the guitar you use, etc etc. Like has been said, there is no ONE correct method.
+347 on that point. Of course you must also add the player to the equation.
All that being said, it may be that for your purposes a blend of acoustic and electric is the appropriate methodology.
Years ago I made a demo recording for a musician/ project studio owner/ friend of mine to listen to.
My acoustic was desperately in need of restringing, so I mic'ed up my hollowbody electric and mixed in the output of its 50 year old P90 pickup. Played with EQ a little bit and hit the record button. I was just trying to quickly mimic the sound if an acoustic guitar and in no way intended it to be a finished product. When I next spoke to my friend, he simply would not believe that it wasn't an actual acoustic guitar.
I have used that technique again several times with varying degrees of success, which brings us back to the fact that you never know what's going to work until you try. If your acoustic is weak in the lower frequencies, perhaps augmenting it with a piezo or better yet, a sound hole bucker type pickup will give you what you want.
As is true in all endeavors, just try to learn the rules before you break them.
olduncledinogiammattei

Can I add another good article to the list? Sound on Sound April 2010. (The Aug 07 issue has perhaps THE best ever dissertation on recording ELECTRIC guitar)

DI and acoustic? No! Not unless you were very stuck for a quiet place but of course noise and level are the bogey men here. Unless you have really good pre amps, capacitor mics are indicated and SDCs are more "pokeable" than the big jobs.

Two mics? Yes because the guitar is an awkward bugger in its radiation pattern. Most folks find a mic near the neck/body join is useful but another down by the bottom bout captures some heft.

Tip for those like we cursed with a tiny room that we have had to trap the bejuices out of. Lay some 1/8" hardboard on the carpet and stick down with gaffer tape. This brightens up the guitar a treat but is like a "membrane" absorber at LF. (cheap as chips. After a year or two of coke,coffee, curry and lager, rip it up and start again).

All that said. Once I got an A&H Zed 10 son preferd the SM57! Kids! (he's 41 soon!)

Dave.

I hear that using a mic on one channel PLUS DI input on a separate channel is a good idea because the DI captures the bassy bits better

there's no set standard for anything in recording... grasp that concept.

personally i dont DI acoustic guitar at all... its usually a lot lesser of a sound .... with proper mic placement you will have no need to capture a "bassier" sound with a DI.

It all depends on the overall sound you want...........like has been said, there is no ONE correct method.

If your acoustic is weak in the lower frequencies, perhaps augmenting it with a piezo or better yet, a sound hole bucker type pickup will give you what you want.

DI and acoustic? No!
mjbphoto's point is key here, it depends on the overall sound you want. I've found that acoustic with mic and DI works really well. I take the process a stage further by miking the acoustic with two mics {dynamics, condensers or a combo of both} as well as plugging in DI and attaching this cheap crude bottletop mic to the body and recording the four sources. With a little mixing and manouvering, I've come to love the sound. It's better than any of the acoustic guitar sounds I could previously achieve. I don't use it all the time but when I need that particular sound, it more than does the business. It was a case of necesity being the brother of the mother of invention.
As CMB says, try all that's in your mind. It's good to know the principles but you can invent your own stuff too. Nothing is carved in stone. Well, those presidents on Mount Rushmore are, but......

Back