Recording acoustic guitar.

Wack

Hey Guys, I'm trying to get the best possible sound from my acoustic, What I'm looking at is a a sterling audio st-59 ran through a focusrite platnium trakmaster pro compressor, and an audio-technica m40000S, or a sennheiser e815s. Or an acoustic pick-up, I have the option of an electric acoustic aswell. What should my set up be? The condensor and dynamic? How shall they be placed? 2 Dynamics? Thanks for the help guys!

Hey Guys, I'm trying to get the best possible sound from my acoustic, What I'm looking at is a a sterling audio st-59 ran through a focusrite platnium trakmaster pro compressor, and an audio-technica m40000S, or a sennheiser e815s. Or an acoustic pick-up, I have the option of an electric acoustic aswell. What should my set up be? The condensor and dynamic? How shall they be placed? 2 Dynamics? Thanks for the help guys!

Try everything. That's your best bet. We don't know exactly how it's going to sound with certain setups, only you'll be able to tell with trial and error.

Look up some common acoustic guitar mic setups, such as XY, or spaced pair.

When I track acoustic, what I do depends on the tune it's going into. If it's going to sit in a full band type of mix or a solo performance plus the mood of the tune dictates how I would approach tracking. For the most part, I avoid on board pickups in acoustics. It's a matter of personal taste but I've never heard one I liked enough to record. The type of guitar has a LOT to do with mic choice and placement. A Dreadnaught vs a Grand Concert body makes a big difference in where you might think about sticking a mic.

Last edited:
Back