Recording acoustic guitar with 2 mics. HELP!!!!!

danbs10

Hi, I have recently purchased 2 Shure SM57 microphones because I have heard how good they are for picking up acoustic guitar.
I am having some slight problems because I am not "sure" (excuse the pun) where or how to position them. I currently have the first mic positioned directly in front of the sound hole about 6 feet away, and the second positioned directly in front of the 12th fret of the guitar also about 6 feet away. On my mixer I have the gain turned up full and the master volume at 50%. But when I record it is just not picking up the richness and warmth of the guitar that I expected, also it distorts when I play the low A note!

Please tell me where best to position these mics, how far away from the guitar, at "eye" level or above the guitar?
I really don't know.
Please help

Thanks

Well, I'd say an sm57 on acoustic is decent-sounding at best (if going for an acoustic-focused song, not background stuff)...6 feet is about 5 feet too far away :o

Move them up somewhere to 8-12 inches away and if it's too heavy for you, just keep moving them back until you are satisfied. As for the whole "richness" and "warmth" you're trying to draw out, well, you'd be much better off with a condenser mic! Dynamic mics aren't really for richness and warmth.

I agree. 6 feet away is really far! And pointing an SM57 at the sound hole isn't bad in my opinion. The frequency response on the mic allows no heavy amount of bass. I've gotten some really great sounding results from an acoustic guitar pointing a 57 directly at the sound hole.

I usually have the SM57 around 12" from the guitar, pointing towards the 12th fret area. A lot depends on the guitar itself, as well as the recording room.

I agree with everything above. I'd normally have my mics (generally small diaphragm condensers, not SM57s) about a 12-18 inches from the guitar. With an SM57, you likely want to be at the lower end of this range as they do best when nice and close to the sound source. One would be at about the 12th fret as you do but the other would be between the sound hole and the bridge. I find that anything aimed straight at the sound hole gives a far too boomy/tubby sound.

Not sure where you get the impression that 57's are good for acoustic? They are dynamic mics and are great in front of a cabinet, but for acoustic, I much prefer condenser mics. A 57 needs the sound source up close and personal, that's why they are great vocal mics.

I agree with what everyone saud above. You may want to try an X-Y pattern around the 12th fret. This should give a nice stereo mix.

From the research I've done, I've heard that putting a mic by 12th fret (like you're already doing) and one near the bridge of the guitar is good. I've also read that when it comes to recording an acoustic guitar, condenser mics are best.

I hope that helps :)

God Bless,
-Matt

You may want to try an X-Y pattern around the 12th fret. This should give a nice stereo mix.
Even better, a vertical XY (assuming the floor and ceiling are similarly surfaced - although with 57's, it shouldn't make a huge difference).

Hard angle (maybe 110 degrees) and fairly close (8" or so). Add a little top to the top mic, add a little bottom to the bottom mic. Pan hard. Smile.

I have never liked SM57's on acoustic guitars, but then I saw Bob Brozman live and could not believe how good it sounded. Here is a link to his mic tips page, a lot of what he says is relevant to the studio as well. I was with the sound guys at the gig and he knew exactly what he wanted in the way of EQ, calling out frequencies to cut from the stage and being spot on.

Of course we are talking about Bob Brozman, have a listen to him play if you don't know what I am talking about.

Alan.

Back