Recording acoustic group with 2 mics

Rudy2

Howdy all,

I posted this question to the newbie group but did not get much help there so please do not flame me for trying again.

I just bought a used MR-8 and want to start recording right away. I also bought two Nady Starpower1 mics and stands so I should have the bare bones of a recording setup. I know this is about as frugal as it gets but I am sure it will be a great way to learn and progress.

Anyway, I want to record the folk group that I perform with using just the two mics and the MR-8. One take, two channels, no bouncing or dubbing just a live take. We are a seven piece acoustic group, violins, guitar, pump organ, upright bass with no drums or electric instruments. One recording scenario will be the local grange dance hall with a low ceiling and hollow acoustics and another will be a large living room with a tall ceiling and lots of sound absorption at playing level.

What do you folks recommend for mic placement for each of the two scenarios? Many thanks.

Rudy2

Sounds like you have two good options. The real answer is that you need to use your ears (I know you wanted something more specific) Set up the group like you play live and put your stereo pair about head high about 6 feet in front and start moving forward and back until you get the blend of room and instruments thatyou like. Your best bet is to actually do the mixing with your chairs. If the violin is too loud move him back a few feet, etc.

The grange hall sounds more interesting to me but I have not heard either room.

Back