recording accoustic guitar

indiefolk

ok I have been trying to figure out how to record an accoustic guitar without getting all the excessive lows that tend to muddy up- I loved the way it sounds on a four track using a shure sm-58 to mike it . but fer some reason my computer tends to "muddy" up the tone. I'm using a cheesy ART effects processor/preamp and a johnson pickup(which sounds fine on the four track).

the SM58 is not a good mic to use for acoustic guitar, especially if you put it right in front of the sound hole. try pointing it at the neck or at the bridge. Or get yourself a Marshall mxl603 or two of them and record some GOOD acoustic guitar.

Learn to move the mic away from the soundhole until the boom goes away. With your headphones on move it around until the bass response is the way you like it. Record it, and if it still doesn't sound right try using EQ.

A small-diaphram condenser like a Marshall 603, Audio Technica 3031, or an Oktava MC-102 would be a good addition to your studio.

A large or medium diaphram condenser like an AT-3035, Rode NT-1000, AKG C2000B, Shure KSM32, or AT 4033 would be good too.

An SM-58 dynamic mic will work but they aren't as sensitive as a condenser mic and it won't pick up the fine transient details as well. It WILL work and my first acoustic guitar recording was done with a cheap Sony dynamic. Then I got an AT 4033 and it was a big, big improvement and it made microphone placement much easier.

Good luck

I just used a pair of Octava 012's on an acoustic guitar and they sounded great. I brought the CD into work to see how it sounded there, and a co worker of mine that used to work in a pro studio could not believe that a $100 mic could sound that good. I did'nt touch the EQ, (although I do need to scoop out some 100hz or so) and just added a touch of 'verb and it sounded fantastic. Mucho recommended

A good basic place to start with the mic is pointing the mic at the high end of the fingerboard at about a 45 degree angle 6"-10" away.

From there you can fine tune the position based on the mic and the guitar characteristics.

I've always had good results with this positioning.

My mic selection has been rather limited though. I recently recorded an acoustic guitar with an EV 636 (don't bother looking this one up, it's older than I am.) which captured much of the brightness of the room and needed very little EQ in the mix.

The other mic I've used is the Sennheiser MD441 which captures none of the room and is very dry. However, the tone is outstanding and is true to life. The bass roll-off comes in handy too on occasion.

I used the same positions for both of these mics.

Here's what I did just last night at my friend's studio, helping my (possibly) new guitarist record some acoustic tracks...

Guitarist stood, playing an Epiphone acoustic guitar... Hooked up two mics... One was the studio's Shure Prologue (hey... whatever..) mic, and the other was my trusty SM58... Track one on the board was the prologue, pointed to just behind the bridge on the guitar, about 6-10 inches away from it, probably closer to 6-8... Track two was the SM58, about 8-10 inches away, pointing downward at where the neck met the body, a hare towards the body, somewhat at a 45 from the guitar. Ran both into the board, similar EQ (forgot the exact settings), and equal amounts of signal, basically... Backed off the highs a little... And got the coolest acoustic sound I'd heard out of that studio, ever.

I was damned proud of myself... I read about that mic'ing situation somewhere on here... And it friggin' worked like a charm! Since it was just basically a scratch track, i didn't mess with fine-tuning it to the point of becoming anal about it, but it sounded nice without doing crap to the eq! Had plenty of lows (from the Prologue at the bridge) and the highs were bright and punchy without becoming overriding (from the SM58 at the neck joint). I was friggin' psyched!

I love this board! *LOL*

NoFO said:
I just used a pair of Octava 012's on an acoustic guitar and they sounded great. I brought the CD into work to see how it sounded there, and a co worker of mine that used to work in a pro studio could not believe that a $100 mic could sound that good. I did'nt touch the EQ, (although I do need to scoop out some 100hz or so) and just added a touch of 'verb and it sounded fantastic. Mucho recommended

A pair of MC012s on an acoustic tracks nicely. Call me crazy, but I add an SM57 near the sound hole for more meat. It just goes to show you, to each his/her own. :cool:

Back