Recording accoustic guitar: Getting rid of pick noise

Chibi Nappa

What is the best way to minimize pick noise on an accoustic guitar. When I record it is so loud that it litterally overpowers the hi hat. I've tried many different mic positions and several different mics. The only positions that have reduced the pick enough either let in too much "room sound" (I personally like the room sound, but the guitar player doesn't) or it sounds wimpy with no midrange. I'm using some budget mics here, but they're decent. Studio Projects C1, 2 Oktava mc012's, and 2 of those cheap berringer reference mics. I also have sm57's and 58's and a couple of BD mics, but I don't think they will be too helpful. I'm recording "pop" style music going into the pre-amps of a Makie VLZ 1404 and recording onto a Roland 2480.

Try getting rid of the pick.

Have the guitarist play with his fingers, back of his nails.

This is the technique I use to get a "less attack" sound, both live and on recordings.

Could just be sloppy playing... Try having the guitarist change the pick to a heavier weight, or alter the placement or angle of the pick.

If they don't want to adjust, perhaps some multiband compression might act as a "de-picker?" Or perhaps you can mix the close and near mics to get a compromise between the two sounds.

I'll give that multiband compression a shot. I tried eq and it killed too much of the actual guitar sound....and the problem was still there! I think the problem might be in the actual guitar playing. He strums way too hard. If I need to re-record any songs (and I think I might have to), I might get the bass player to play it instead. He's actually the best guitar player in the band (followed by the drummer, oddly enough). Then I'd just need a way around the politics of getting the singer/songwriter/guitar player to not play guitar on his own songs, but that's for a different dissucssion. :)

First I'll try that multiband compression and mixing in the room mic signal and see what I get....

Another thought occured to me. You might be able to limit the picking sound just by altering the angle at which the mic is pointed. I haven't done a lot of live instrument recording, so it's just off the top of my head.

Has anybody ever tried those picks that are sort of like hard felt? I might also want to try picking one of those up and seeing what it does.

maestro_dmc said:
That's it man.
Yeah, but like I said above, they are his songs and I don't know if he'd want to hand the guitar playing over to a better player... Eh, he's a reasonable guy. It might work.

Yeah, if you have a fully parametric EQ, then crank up the gain, dail in the freq, then cut it out. It shouldn't interfere with your sound of the acoustic that much.

point your mics at the neck ( 10th to 14th frets ) about 6-8 inches away and have him do his picking a little below the soundhole. If you get up close on the neck and get a good strong gain going, most of your sound will be what's right in front of the mic. And tell him to quit banging on the guitar. And use a lighter pick or finger tips/fingernails.

Yeah, I like to low cut most of my tracks. Saves me some headroom. I usually start the cut at about 80-100 hz on accoustic guitars. Where do you cut from?

I usually engage the high pass on the channel ( probably at 80 ) and then cut 3-6 dbs on the low knob of the channel ( not sure what frequency it starts at - probably the same as on your Mackie ). Sometimes even cut the low shelf on the recorder too. I leave the other eq flat. If I'm just recording the guitar by itself, I may leave the high pass off and just cut the low eq a bit. But anytime I'm mixing several tracks, I cut the heck out of the bottom, usually on everything but bass and kick drum. I've been doing a lot of experimenting with acoustic guitar since that's my main interest. Getting some pretty good sound. I know that I have much much to learn yet. It's great fun learning this stuff.

maestro_dmc said:
Bad strumming on acoustic guitar is a MAJOR pet peeve of mine. With some folks I play with.

Also, try a lighter gauge pick, if he won't go pick-less.

Not a HEAVIER ONE!:D

A heavier pick generally produces heavier/louder playing, but most of that energy is going into the string. Of course it all depends on who's doing the playing, but a light pick CAN be noisier in relation to the level of the useable tone of the string. The thin plastic can also give more of the card-in-the-bicycle-spokes sound when strumming, unless you use a careful touch.

Best thing to do is to record him using all different pick gauges, and stick with whatever best deals with the problem.

Skysaw said:
A heavier pick generally produces heavier/louder playing, but most of that energy is going into the string. Of course it all depends on who's doing the playing, but a light pick CAN be noisier in relation to the level of the useable tone of the string. The thin plastic can also give more of the card-in-the-bicycle-spokes sound when strumming, unless you use a careful touch.

Best thing to do is to record him using all different pick gauges, and stick with whatever best deals with the problem.

Too True!:D

Heh…this all sounds like good advice. I am going to try exactly the opposite because I want MORE pick noise in my guitar sound :D

Oh…and just tell him to get rid of the pick. I often strum with the back of my thumbnail (up stroke) and back of my index fingernail (down stroke). Especially when I am doing a take with both picking & strumming. There is still some (very little) audible attack. It can be a nice sound…plus then I don’t have to run all over the house trying to find and @#^#$%@*# pick :D:D.

Back