Recording a studio piano?

Been awhile since I've done it, but the last time I did, I used a couple of small condensors pointing into the open lid. I believe they were about 6 inches above on either side of the piano on booms. I used a pair of Crown CM 700. Sounded great....nice and bright with alot of definition. Perfect for the style being tracked.:cool:

piano is one that greatly depends on the style of the music, i would guess as its an upright it will be pop/rock with full band.
For that you want clarity, wide stereo image and not much reverb.
Possibly some LDC's in the top, alot of people also like PZM's.

Remember, if your not going for an accurate sound you can mix and match microphones (so if you liked a 414 on the low end and a 81 on the high go for it :D)

how do you guys like to record a studio/upright piano?

Personally, i don't like to. Thankfully, I now have a halfway decent grand piano. When I had to record our pathetic console piano, I'd typically record off the soundboard, either mono or stereo with omni mikes. Trying to open it up and record off the other side just gave me a lot of mechanical noises I didn't want. I hope yours is better. Good luck, whatever you decide!

Cheers,

Otto

yeah

yeah we are like pop rock band. and for our last album we recorded a grand piano but that didnt really fit our style. it felt to full and concerty (if that makes sense). we were really hoping for like a bouncier more artsy feel to it so we wanted to use an upright. So the song we are going to use it on sounds kind of like a ben folds type song. it has real bouncy piano chords with drums bass and electric. let me know if that helps!

Back