recording a show..

ahj

the kid who booked this show i'm palying on saturday asked if i could record the whole thing for him. It's mostly an acoustic show, and it will be my first time recording a live show. two of the bands are just singing and acoustic guitar, and the other two are two acoustic guitars, keyboard, and two or three singers. I really am not sure how to setup my mics so that's what i'm looking for some advice on.
mics i have:
(1)Rode nt-1a
(2)joe meek jm 27
(1)audix d3
(2)sm57
all the mics are going into a yamaha mg 12/4 mixer, and into one of the other kids 8 track cassette decks, (I record to computer otherwise I would use my equipment) I'm not expecting that awesome of a sound considering its being recorded on cassette, but what would be my best route for micing?

my thoughts so far are basically put up my rode in the center and the joe meeks on either side, then im not sure what they are using for vocals, most likely just a PA, so I could just hook up an output into the mixer also, the only problem is there wont be much post-editing, because It will be recorded as the two stereo outputs from the yamaha.

Do you have any DI's? Most guitars live 'should' be going through DI boxes, and the Keyboard should be as well. If I were you, I'd just use the DI's on those, and use the 57's on vocals...if you're recording with that setup, this will give you the least headaches.

Also. I'm not familier with you board, but you can use the Aux outs as sends to the recorder...vocals out of 1, guitars out of 2, etc...if there are enough aux outs you could get complete seperation of each part...

Jacob

what effects are you using on the show? if it is completely dry then you can use the aux sends as feeds to your recorder.

another option is to build some insert bypass cables.
- take a trs cable and remove one jack.
- when you resolder the jack you will have 2 solder points on the tip(send). one will go to the tip of the other end of the cable. then you will also "short" one cable from the tip to the ring (return).

the idea is that you send signal both to the recorder AND back through the return of the channel insert.

jkokura, thanks, but i own zero DI's, I'm thinking most of the bands will use amps for their acoustics and their singing will go through a PA, so hopefully i can work with that (mic the amps, send a signal from a PA out put to the mixer)
mishagolin, I'm not sure I completely understand what I would be accomplishing by doing this, and the show is tommorow, so I dont have that much time, but thanks anyway

ahj said:
jkokura, thanks, but i own zero DI's, I'm thinking most of the bands will use amps for their acoustics and their singing will go through a PA, so hopefully i can work with that (mic the amps, send a signal from a PA out put to the mixer)
mishagolin, I'm not sure I completely understand what I would be accomplishing by doing this, and the show is tommorow, so I dont have that much time, but thanks anyway

In that case - do your best and tell us how it goes!

Jacob

Back