recording a midi track

carlosfl

I’m having a problem with what’s being recorded on my sequencing software. I am using Sonar 3 Producer edition, and a micro Korg synthesizer/vocoder. Every time I record a midi track using my Korg synthesizer, the sounds played back on my sequencing software sound generic, bells and whistles, sounds that aren’t even from my Korg. I’m interested in recording exactly what I play, and hear from my Korg. I would extremely appreciate it if any one can help.

I really need help. I’m trying to Record what I am playing live from my Korg onto a sequencer like Sonar so that I can edit, add, and rearrange parts. Then combine them all with recorded parts of a guitar, which I recorded using a mic. Any suggestions recommendations? Any and every suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm no expert on midi, but it sounds like you don't have your midi devices set up correctly. Midi is not sound, but only instructions for generating sound (a midi "recording" tells your midi module which instrument to play, the note, volume, length, etc.). Different midi modules will have different built in sounds. Probably what is happening is that your software is recording the instructions from the Korg, but is using your computer's soundcard to generate the midi notes on playback. Thus, you will need to configure the Korg as the MIDI output device in Sonar. That way, the instructions will be fed back out to the Korg and the sound will be re-created. Be aware that there will be a delay (latency) between the time that the computer tells the Korg to play the sound and when the sound is actually generated.

To get around this, you can record audio, instead of midi, from your synth. Or, if Sonar supports VST instruments (or similar), you could try out some of those for different synth sounds.

Thanks for your response

Thanks for your response. I set the Midi output device for the Korg on sonar, but now I get no sound. Notes are being transmitted into sonar but no sound is being reproduced. What do people normally do when they want to record there external synthesizer? If there is a delay how long of a delay would it be? I really need help. I’m trying to Record what I am playing live from my Korg onto a sequencer like Sonar so that I can edit, add, and rearrange parts. Then combine them all with recorded parts of a guitar, which I recorded using a mic. Any suggestions recommendations? Any and every suggestion is greatly appreciated.

If its all connected up, and your getting signal from your midi in sonar, then it sounds like its another issue. ensure you have the output of your korg in the input on your midi interface, and the output of the interface, on the input of the korg.

Check your settings in sonar. Check on preferences and MIDI then check that your device is there. also check the audio tab and check the output option and ensure that the correct soundcard is listed.

It sounds like its something really little that you havent checked... in my opinion the worst ones! :(

Good luck man!

carlosfl said:
I’m having a problem with what’s being recorded on my sequencing software.
Sounds like you've got two problems, the first being if you've still got 'bells and whistles' in your computer you're probably trying to get by with the factory sound card or a game-oriented Sound Blaster. Try one of these. Second, if you want to get sound out of your Korg it needs to have both midi in and and midi out connected to your soundcard with the Local Control set to 'off'. This is very important as it breaks the connection between the keyboard and the sounds inside. Read the manual as to how to do this. There should be no real delay to speak of with a properly set up midi system.

Here are links to two good articles on midi basics - part one and part two. They may be a little too basic for you, but we can all use a refresher course now and then...

Settings

The Korg manual doesn’t go into much detail with the MIDI setting for external sequencers. The sound card I have is an Audigy Platinum ex, with an external box which is used to connect midi devices, head phones, and aux inputs. When recoding, notes are all Sonar records, with no sounds produced, unless the out put is changed to Audigys synth. A or B. My setting are listed below.

KORG SETTINGS
GLOBAL: < Master Tune 40.0 > – < Master Tran. 0 > – < Normal Curve > – < Position Post KBD >
MIDI: < Channel 1 > – < Local off > – < Clock External > -

Are there any other settings I should be looking at for my keyboard?
Do I require a driver for my micro Korg synth/vocoder? My last keyboard a Yamaha cs2x required a driver, but the manual for the Korg mentions nothing about a driver. I also looked at there web site and found nothing relating to the topic.

SONAR SETTINGS
Input: SB Audigy MIDI IO 2 [D000] Output: 2-SB Audigy MIDI IO [D000]

Are there any other settings I should be looking at in Sonar?

Thanks for the help!

great resources, scientist dude, uhh, about basic....

ssscientist said:
Sounds like you've got two problems, the first being if you've still got 'bells and whistles' in your computer you're probably trying to get by with the factory sound card or a game-oriented Sound Blaster. Try one of these. Second, if you want to get sound out of your Korg it needs to have both midi in and and midi out connected to your soundcard with the Local Control set to 'off'. This is very important as it breaks the connection between the keyboard and the sounds inside. Read the manual as to how to do this. There should be no real delay to speak of with a properly set up midi system.

Here are links to two good articles on midi basics - part one and part two. They may be a little too basic for you, but we can all use a refresher course now and then...

the first article was really great, the second link was a little basic after reading the first link (er, they are both the same link)....

carlosfl said:
Are there any other settings I should be looking at for my keyboard?
No. You are all set as far as the keyboard settings go.

Do I require a driver for my micro Korg synth/vocoder?
Not for the keyboard, but the audio/midi interface I provided a link to needs a driver - but it will come with the appropriate software. In case you want a cheaper alternative for midi-only use, this will be much better than what you're trying to use now.

SONAR SETTINGS---Input: SB Audigy MIDI IO 2 [D000] Output: 2-SB Audigy MIDI IO [D000]
You need to buy and install one of the interfaces above, (in the case of the cheaper one 'install' means plug it in to a USB port) then make sure they appear in the same list you found the above 'Input: SB Audigy...'. Select the input and output port in the same way the SoundBlaster is selected above and you'll be in business.

Why another interface?

Isn’t that a USB midi interface? Why would I need that, if my Audigy already has an interface? I will be building a new PC in two or three months, and I’m thinking of getting M- Audio’s Delta 1010LT, but I would like to put some music together before then. Dose this mean I won’t be able to use an external synthesizer until I get a new Card? I have been using my keyboards to control soft synth’s with out a problem, but I’ve never been able to use an external synth in any of my sequencing software.

Dose this mean I won’t be able to use an external synthesizer until I get a new Card?
Unless you can move over to the Cakewalk Forum and find someone who knows specifically how to advise you to get midi information out of Sonar 3 and an Audigy SB midi interface, then the answer is yes. You will not be able to use an external synthesizer until you get a new card. When you do buy a new card if you still have problems post in the 'Midi Mania' forum and I'll be able to help...

And the Delta 1010 is a fine interface too.

Thanks

Thanks for all the help scientist. I tried this midi recoding stuff about six years ago when I had the Yamaha cs2x, and I gave up. It was taking to much time, and I had to much work in school. Now that I graduated, I’m back and hoping to once and for all resolve these issues. This stuff is really driving me crazy. Its getting to the point were I dream about it man lol (midi). I’m thinking of going back to school, and taking some classes which dedicate to these topics. By the way my home town is Chicago, I was there twice this year visiting family and friends. Hows the weather?

Back