Recording A Live Drumset

GRADSTANG

IS IT POSSIBLE TO RECORD DRUMS DIRECT USING DRUM TRIGGERS SO INSTEAD OF RUNNING THE TRIGGERS THROUGH LIKE A PA WOULD THE * TRACK RECORDER SUBSTITUTE THE PA DOES ANY OF THIS MAKE ANY SENSE

you may want to re-phrase you question. yes it is possable to record only the triggered sound from a kit but im not shure on the rest of your question.

If you are suggesting putting triigers on a drum set and useing them to trigger sounds in a drum module - and then recording that the sounds from the module, rather than the accoustic drum sound - yes you can do that.

However, you can not accurately trigger from cymbals, so you would likely want to record the live cymbal sounds - which would pick up some of the accoustic drum sounds.

There would be no way I can think of to gate out everything but the cymbals. Possibly recording into a digital format would allow you to edit outs certain frequencies not associated with the cymbals, but I can't imagine this would be easy - or all that accurate.

recording a live drum set

forget the drum triggers the brain is way too expensive approx how many mikes would it require to record about 4 cymbals and 1 high hat

Re: recording a live drum set

GRADSTANG said:
forget the drum triggers the brain is way too expensive approx how many mikes would it require to record about 4 cymbals and 1 high hat

1 condenser directly over the drummer's head for mono, and preferably a matched pair of condensers for a stereo recording.

You can make decent quality recordings of a drumkit with 2 to 4 mic's.

For a mono image of the drumkit with 2 mic's:

1 mic on the kick.
1 overhead. (I like to put this about 12"-24" above the drummers head, and aimed straight down at his head.)

Suggested Mic's:

Kick: AKG D112, AT pro25, or an ATM 25 (The pro25 is around $80)
Overhead: MXL603 (goes for around $80)

For a mono image of the drumkit with 3 mic's:

1 mic on the kick.
1 mic on the snare.
1 overhead. (I like to put this about 12"-24" above the drummers head, and aimed straight down at his head.)

Suggested Mic's:

Snare, SM57 , or Beyer M422 (The 57 is around $80)
Overhead: MXL603 (goes for around $80)

For a stereo image with 3 Mic's

1 mic on the kick.
2 overheads. (You'll have to experiment with placement, but I like them behind the drummer, rather than in front of the drummer, because it helps eliminate any sound from the wall behind the drummer.)

Suggested Mic's:

Overhead: MXL603 (around $80 each)

For a stereo Image with 4 mic's:

1 mic on the kick.
1 mic on the snare.
2 overheads. (You'll have to experiment with placement, but I like them behind the drummer, rather than in front of the drummer, because it helps eliminate any sound from the wall behind the drummer.)

Suggested Mic's:

Snare, SM57 , or Beyer M422 (The 57 is around $80)
Overhead: MXL603 (around $80 each)

The key to this kind of recording is that the drumkit HAS to be well tuned, and the drummer has to be able to play well dynamically.(i.e., not hitting the hihat harder than the snare.)

Tim

If it's mono, there won't be any "left to right movement", in other words, you won't hear the hi-hat on the right, and the ride on the left, or the tom rolls won't move from speaker to speaker....the same sounds will come out of both speakers.

If it's in stereo, and you pan your overheads left to right, you will hear whats on the left side of the kit coming from one speaker, while what on the right side of the kit will come out of the other speaker.

Normally, I don't worry about stereo that much....my bass player and guitar player worry about it a lot more than I do....I'm more concerned with the actual sound quality....I would much rather have killer sounding Mono drum tracks, over crappy stereo tracks, but that's just my opinion.

Tim

guitarist looking to record drums

I AM A GUITARIST WHO IS LOOKING FOR THE BEST AND EASIEST WAY TO RECORD LIVE DRUMS I JUST PURCHASED A TASCAM 788 AND I AM LOOKING FORWRD TO THE WHOLE RECORDING ASPECT FROM WHAT I HAVE LEARNED I THINK I WILL GO WITH A MONO RECORDING OF THE DRUMS AS APPOSED TO STEREO FOR I AM LOOKING FOR OVERALL SOUND QUALITY DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY TRICKS OR HINTS IN RECORDING DRUMS THROUGH THIS TYPE OF DIGITAL RECORDER THANKS GERARD

Back