Recording a gig simply

savageblues

Hi folks, looking for some recommendations on how to record our band next Sat. Venue is a wedding reception in a larger sized, barn shaped community hall.

I have a D1600 recorder, and V67, SM57 mics. I can rent a few mics too. Our band from L to R is: Guitar, Drums, Bass, Guitar, Keys. We all sing, so each has a vocal mic to the mixing board. We will only PA vocals, Keys, and maybe electric-acoustic guit. Drums, Bass and 2 Guitar amps are un-mic'd.

Heres what I was thinking. Rent a pair of condenser mics (what kind should I use?), and try to position them in a stereo field in the middle of the stage somewhere to capture some overall stage sound but each focusing slightly on each guitar amp (Stage L, Stage R). Use the V67 somewhere in front of the drums and Bass area, to capture these two together on one track. I have the SM57 left to use somewhere

I will have 4 other inputs that I can use to take feeds off the mixing board for vocals (maybe one channel use the PA mains mix, another the Monitor mix. This still leaves two.

I am a little confused on how to engineer this for the best possible sound, and mixing potential after the fact. This is my first time I will try to capture our band live, and also the first gig use of my D1600. I have to sing and play guitar as well so its going to have to be one set-up and go with it, with a few tweaks here and there (best to set it up somewhere next to me!)

Thanks in advance for any help!

How about this:

Track 1: Guitar 1 via mic/direct
Track 2: Guitar 2 via mic/direct
Track 3: Bass 2 via mic/direct
Track 4: Keys 2 via mic/direct
Track 5: Kick drum mic
Track 6: Overhead drum mic right
Track 7: Overhead drum mic left
Track 8: Line out from PA

Thanks for the input.

I think your recommendation would certainly work, but the 4x1/4" TRS inputs on the D1600 dont have phantom power. If I want to use them the way you describe, I have to rent a 4 ch mixer (for the phantom power and preamp) and 3 extra mics. Or, I have to get three DI's with dual outputs to split the guitars to the D1600 (interesting idea, but I would rather hear the amps).

I am trying to keep this relatively simple as first project, and thought about just using 4 mics (for the 4 XLR inputs available).

So I guess the question becomes, where would you place the 4 mics to capture the fullest stage sound (excluding vocals)?

If you are trying to capture the entire band with 2 mikes it's almost best if the mics could be off the stage in the room somewhere but I'm sure that's not possible. I get some good sound towards the front, far enough away to capture all of the instraments but behind the PA speaker so you don't pick any of that up. Between the monitors and the PA speakers so there is minimal vocals comming into the mics. If you can get some individual inputs from the PA instead of an entire mix do it. If you've got 8 channels I would sugest trying to fill them all with either direct connections or even cheap mics placed around the stage. Extra tracks never hurt as you can always throw them out at mixdown. I'm assuming you're not going to have a chance to do a recording check where you get to move the mics around until you get the best sound but if you can walk walk around the stage and see where there is a good mix when everyone is playing.

Back