recording a full-scale rock song using a single stereo input sound card

rats

What a nightmare.:( It seems like it must be typical dilemma for a lot of home reccers that haven't yet made the leap to the higher quality sound cards. I mean even with four to eight inputs it seems like you would still run into snags. On the several occasions where I've recorded in the pro studios the process made sense; each musician gets his own room where you're individually mic'ed, D.I.'ed, etc, and you can hear everyone playing in your headphones. Then you just play the songs live as usual and the engineer captures you. Then you go back and do your punch ins, over dubs, etc. Seems pretty basic. :o But now you take away your 64 channel console and 8 ADATs and give you a 2496 Audiophile with one stereo input and you have to make some changes!:eek:

So here I am in a four piece core band that also recruits various other musicians to play parts; violins, sax, singers, other orchestral parts, etc. Now, we have a real drummer, I need to make that clear. There's no sequencing or looping going on here, at least for the most part. Getting a good quality drum sound recorded onto 2 tracks has been a challenge in itself where I'm only using a 4 channel mixer, but that's another issue altogether. The real problem is logistically getting the structure of the song recorded because is there a right way to do this? We have experimented with a couple of different processes and still haven't settled on "the right way". Right now we are in middle of recording a full length 12-13 song CD on this machine that we will take in to a professional studio to have mixed and mastered, and let me tell you, it's been an experience.

Our early attempts have produced the best sounding stuff yet, although technically insane. What we did was first we set up a couple of room mics and recorded the whole band playing the song as usual. We used this as a guide and prayed our timing was good. Then we proceeded to record each drum (for the most part) individually on it's own seperate track. First the kick drum - track 3 - record - boom boomboom, boom boomboom. OK stop. Punch in mistakes, edit, OK. Then we'd move on to the snare, etc. Sure it was tedious, but came out sounding pretty damn good, and it was nice being able to have the total control to EQ compress, limit each drum with no bleeding over of tracks! :D After the drums were recorded it was pretty easy to record the rest of the instruments with the new drums track as the guide.

After doing three songs this way we decided to try something else. It just seemed stupid to do things this way, way too much time involved. So what we did for the next 5 or 6 songs was to first establish a click track, then record the guitars and a guide vocal track. Then we'd record the drums altogether live with an SM-57 on the snare, a rented kick mic on the kick, and two of the same model dynamic mics as overheads panned hard left and right. It actually didn't sound too bad, but it was very hard to get the whole spectrum nice and in your face, unlike what we got out of the previous 1-drum-at-a-time set up. Then we would follow up with all of the other instruments and vocals one at a time.

For some reason though, we had all kinds of trouble with the click track system, it was just weird. It may have been that our drummer was a little rusty by the time we got to those drum tracks, but it was a lot harder for him to play having to follow a click track than to just play normally where we always follow him anyway. Unnatural I guess would be the best way to describe it.

So now here we are looking at the near completion of the project and after all the work we've done it appears the drum tracks we have recorded are sub-par and we're thinking about re-recording them in the pro studio. Just the drums. But again, once we get in there he's going to be faced with having to play along with the click track and having to be dead on with his timing. I think he should be OK, but we don't want to find out that he's having trouble while we're on the clock in the drum room!:eek: And what about the early songs where there is no click track? What if the room track varied off time slightly, how to replicate that? :eek:

So that's my personal dilemma, but I'm guessing there must be others on the board that are currently or have at least had the experience of pulling off a full song with a stereo input. What methods have you used and been successful with, especially in the arena of live drums? I mean you can't record everything at once!:rolleyes:

Even though I have 24ch of input I do just about everything one instrument at a time. It sounds like the problem is that your drummer kinda sucks. He should be able to play with a click track if he wants to be a 'real' drummer. In the case of overdubbing drums without a click track that will be even harder. It will just depend on his skill level.

You might want to bring in more experienced drummer if you are going to pay for studio time. If your drummer's performance isn't good enough on the home recording I doubt the time pressures of a hired studio will improve things.

:( The only thing I can think of to get good results is to use a mixer and have somerun it for you and build a live stereo mix. I know you are working within a budget, then record live on sound card. Sorry, I know there may be other ideas coming at ya, stay tuned as I will.
I'm basing this on the stereo input you mentioned at the begining.

da MUTT

TexRoadkill said:
Even though I have 24ch of input I do just about everything one instrument at a time. It sounds like the problem is that your drummer kinda sucks. He should be able to play with a click track if he wants to be a 'real' drummer. In the case of overdubbing drums without a click track that will be even harder. It will just depend on his skill level.

You might want to bring in more experienced drummer if you are going to pay for studio time. If your drummer's performance isn't good enough on the home recording I doubt the time pressures of a hired studio will improve things.

Well actually he is a decent drummer at the end of his rock career. You see he's played drums for like 15 years but this is his first and probably last band. He's never had the ambition to join a band, and now since he's joined the group he's gotten married and has a baby and has lost what ambition he mustered up a few years back. His drums stay at my house in the studio and he only plays at rehearsals once a week for three hours, but now with the task at hand he's taken his drums home to rehearse the crap out them, which when he practices he does great! This is the last project he's doing with us, no more live shows. We'll be looking for a new drummer after we finish the CD, but for now he knows the songs, just needs to practice.

I'm just wondering how other people run their recording processes, especially with limited inputs. Does everyone start with a click track and a guitar?:confused:

My favorite way to do recordings is to start by creating a fake drum track at the tempo I need using a third-party program such as Sonic Foundry Acid (I'm sure there are some freebies out there that are similar). I export the track as a .wav file; then import the drum track into Nuendo (or whatever multitrack program you use) (note: make sure that you set your multitrack software to the same tempo that you used for the drum track); and then repeat the drums on that track for a length somewhat longer than your song is intended to be...maybe 5-10 minutes worth. The "fake" drum track is much, much, much better than a click track for keeping time to. If you don't want to spend much time on it, you can quickly create a "generic", simple drum beat track and just alter the tempo for whatever song you need to use it for.

The next thing I do is record the basics - rhythm guitar, bass, vocals, and so on. Then everything is on the correct time and tempo. Finally, when you get an acceptable setup for recording the real drums (renting a studio, borrowing something from a friend to let you record multitrack drum mics, etc.), then you already have everything else recorded and on correct time.

If you really want to get fancy, you could use your single-track recording setup to record the drum "samples" that you will use for the fake drum track. Just record a single hit for each piece of the drums. Then import these sound file into Acid (or other program) and let your drummer help you create the correct rythms and parts. Then the drums will sound very much like the real thing when you are recording the other parts.

Good luck!

You know jdrocky, your method is similar to a method we attempted on one song that didn't produce the best results unfortunately. I recorded the basics of the song on my own and used sequenced drums I created on my SR-16. The drummer decided he didn't like my drum patterns and changed them up quite a bit, so it was extremely distracting for him to try and play his new and improved drum line to my ragged drum sequence. When we muted out the sequenced drums it didn't help because the heavily distorted and effected guitars and keyboards were too "mushy" to have anything concrete to keep time to. So we're left having to create a click track after all.

It seems the click track method is the most reliable to me.:(

Matty, it sounds like you use the clicks then? What would be the ideal, then?

I use clicks. I created a simple 1111 click in cep, and i use it for everything. I do one guitar so i can follow the changes, then i do drums. After drums i do the rest of the tracks. It works ok for me.

Matty

Back