recording a demo

hardcore guy

hey, im in a hardcore/metal band called Once We Were and we want to get a little demo recorded just so we can have something of ours to listen to or give out at shows or whatever. i know that with my experiance and equipment i can only make a diy recording but thats cool because i kinda like the diy sound anyways(i know some of you may not be able to understand this). i own a tascan 424 mkIII and i am borrowing tascam 414 from a friend. i have a few sm-48's and sm-57. i also have cool edit pro on my comp with a sound card that came w/ the comp. my band consists of 2 guitars, 1 bass, two vocalists and me the drumer w/ a four piece. i figured i'd record the drums and vox first because the drums are hard to record any place but first ( i know from experiance) and the vocals are mostly shouting, screaming, screeching, yelling and whatnot. i figured i'd mic every single drum and the cymbals would just bleed in through those mics wich would make it sound ok. i would put these through the 424 and mess with it many times to get the desired mix. then i would send the output rca cables to the 414, record the vocals on 2 tracks and the drums on two tracks at the same time. then i will mix it down to the computer on cool edit pro and keep the vox on the right and drums on the left. that way i can adjust them separatly once i get guitar into the mix. then i'd just separately record the guitars into it (easy). what do you think. any suggestions? anything you would change in my situation keeping in mind i have little to no money? let me know, thanks-laters

Back