Recording a clean electric, w/ large diaphragm

Polaris20

I am wanting to record the clean sound from my new Spider II amp, with a SP B1.

My question is, how far away do I have to be so I don't damage it with sound pressure?

I've heard they're pretty forgiving in that regard, but I am anal about this stuff and want to make sure I don't f*ck it up.

Thanks!!!

I doubt that you'd damage it but that's neither here nor there. Play around with it from 6" out to a couple of feet. Also try and get the amp up off the ground (put it on a chair or whatever). The farther away from the amp you get with the mic, the more the room you're in and where the amp is in that room comes into play. Only your ears can tell you if it's working or not.

Track Rat said:
I doubt that you'd damage it but that's neither here nor there. Play around with it from 6" out to a couple of feet. Also try and get the amp up off the ground (put it on a chair or whatever). The farther away from the amp you get with the mic, the more the room you're in and where the amp is in that room comes into play. Only your ears can tell you if it's working or not.

Yeah sound I can tinker with, I was more concerned about the damage from the SPL. Thanks, I'll give that a try. :D

Very generally speaking it won't do damage unless you have it loud enough to cause small animals to implode. Just my opinion but close miked plosives like an over exagerated P from a vocalist could stretch a diaphram faster that a guitar amp.

Back