Recording a bass guitar

cincy_kid

Hey all!

I am thinking about picking up a cheap bass to use for some recordings. If I do that, is it better to also buy an amp/speaker combo and then just mic the speaker like I would my electric guitar amp? Or is it better to run the bass direct or some other option? I have not bought anything yet so just looking for some ideas on which path to go down.

thanks in advance!

More often, I go with recording bass with a DI/preamp. It depends on the style, gear, and player though. Sometimes a mic'd rig works. Not always. I personally prefer the Eden WTDI over the Sansamp, but that is just personal taste. I have heard some good sim's for bass as well.

Interesting...

Yea, again, going the cost effective route ;)

I would be spending less than $300 on bass amp + I would use my Shure 57 mic and I have it going through my M-Audio Tampa pre.

I have a direct box but I don't think its a very good one so I will check out that Eden WTDI.

thanks for the advice!

Yeah, I would say direct will be more bang for your buck. The Ampeg SVX sim is kinda cool too. I tried the demo myself, but found better tone and more versatility from the Eden. Plus, it was cheaper. :)

yeah, a < than 300 dollar bass rig isn't gonna sound any better than just going direct or through a modeler. Ot a bass preamp like a Sansamp ....Edne makes a bass preamp that supposedly sounds a lot like their bass amps and many of the bass amp companies do also.
For recording, I'd rather spend 300 bones on say, an Eden pre that'll give you the versatility of their big amps than a small cheapo bass rig.

so the bass plugged into the eden di box and then into the sound card or still through a preamp after the di box?

What sound card (interface) are you using? The EDEN has both a balanced XLR and an unbalanced 1/4" output.

I don't do 'puter recording but I've seen it said over and over to not plug directly into the soundcard.
So I'm gonna guess a pre is still useful.

Yep, you would plug in the Eden via the 1/4" line out, into one of the inputs of your Delta. I myself use the XLR out, into a Vintech X73i, but it does sound quite good without a preamp in between.

Back