Recording 1 vocal and 1 guitar live

6 String Dream

I am trying to capture a natural vibe recording an acoustic guitar and vocals at the same time. I want to capture the sound of the room but its hit and miss on a daily basis and sounds completely different every time. I am using a rode nt1 for the guitar which is being place about 3 feet away slightly to my left facing the guitar neck and a sm58 about 4 feet away slightly to my right, and pointing down towards me. The vibe i want is that similar to Bon Iver or Bright Eyes. I dont like recording too close because the vocal sounds like its on top of the guitar track (like kareoke) but sometimes if its too far it doesnt sound loud enough when i play the recording back. What is going to be my best solution?

Thanks.

I am trying to capture a natural vibe recording an acoustic guitar and vocals at the same time. I want to capture the sound of the room but its hit and miss on a daily basis and sounds completely different every time. I am using a rode nt1 for the guitar which is being place about 3 feet away slightly to my left facing the guitar neck and a sm58 about 4 feet away slightly to my right, and pointing down towards me. The vibe i want is that similar to Bon Iver or Bright Eyes. I dont like recording too close because the vocal sounds like its on top of the guitar track (like kareoke) but sometimes if its too far it doesnt sound loud enough when i play the recording back. What is going to be my best solution?

Thanks.
If you are recording the guitar and vocal at the same time, I might suggest trying to record the vocal right in front of your face (I read your comment about karaoke, just keep reading). Place at least one mic close on your acoustic as well, maybe six inches or so away.

THEN, place two room mics in stereo formation about 3 feet away. When you mix, use the close mics as your main mix, and then dial in the room mics for ambiance as you need it. If you have both close and distant mics at your disposal you can adjust to your hearts content. Try playing with the room mics in different locations until you get a good sound out of your room.

May I add to the post above to use a dynamic or super cardoid for vocals to eliminate as much other sound out of it based on the recording pattern of the microphone.

.. I am using a rode nt1 for the guitar which is being place about 3 feet away slightly to my left facing the guitar neck and a sm58 about 4 feet away slightly to my right, and pointing down towards me. ..

Curious then, the guitar mic is at guitar height and the vocal mic is somewhat above you? And how do you pan these? Both as one mostly center image? (Panned would seem to make for an odd wide combination?

Back