Recorded sound through monitors in Cubase

Muffin

I'm working on recording some drum tracks right now but I'm having a hard time hearing the recorded guitars and click track because my drums are being sent into my monitors. I'm using Cubase 5 with a Presonus firestudio project and I can't figure out how to keep whats being recorded out of my monitor. I've tried muting the tracks being recorded, adjusting volume levels, nothing is taking care of it.

Just click the monitor button on the drum track in cubase. You only need that on when you set the levels. Then you may need to adjust the volume on the presonus mixer panel. It shouldn't affect the record levels.

disclaimer: I use a firestudio so i'm assuming they work the same way.

I found the Universal Control, however when I open it I get the following message:
MIX IS CURRENTLY BYPASSED.
OUTPUT "1/2" IS ASSIGNED DIRECT TO DAW RETURN 1-2
Current firmware is incompatible with Universal Control.
Use settings menu to check firmware.

I can't click anything in the Universal Control so I'm hoping the settings menu isn't in there. I downloaded and installed the latest driver: Universal Control v 1.1.1 includes driver v 3.5.2

Update the firmware too. Its in the universal control menus.

edit: I just realized that you said you can't click anything. If thats the case you may have to unistall the drivers and universal control, install the one that came with your unit then update the firmware and then install the updated drivers and universal control app.

Update the firmware too. Its in the universal control menus.

edit: I just realized that you said you can't click anything. If thats the case you may have to unistall the drivers and universal control, install the one that came with your unit then update the firmware and then install the updated drivers and universal control app.

Is what I downloaded the updated firmware? Or is that something else?

Ooook, I think I'm getting the hang of this. I didn't see the little presonus logo in the bottom right hand side of the screen, when I clicked on that, installed the latest firmware and rebooted my firestudio project I could actually access the universal control mixer.
Now I've obviously never used this so what should I use this for? I'm seeing 18 channels all with faders. What do these faders control exactly?

Again I use a firestudio so I assume this is the same.

You can use the meters to adjust your input levels with the knobs on the actual firestudio. Then you can use the sliders on the mixer to mix to your preference, it should only affect the mix of the main outs and the headphones, not what you record. If you've set your input values correctly you should be able to pin the sliders in cubase and get the same level as your getting in the software mixer. If your playing something in cubase you should also see the levels on the daw 1 & 2 channels and be able to mix them to your preference. If you have a click track you should be able to set the output to one of those DAW channels and adjust that in your mix. I'm not sure if you can specify the output channel of the cubase built in click/metronome, so you may need a midi track acting as the click.

Again I use a firestudio so I assume this is the same.

You can use the meters to adjust your input levels with the knobs on the actual firestudio. Then you can use the sliders on the mixer to mix to your preference, it should only affect the mix of the main outs and the headphones, not what you record. If you've set your input values correctly you should be able to pin the sliders in cubase and get the same level as your getting in the software mixer. If your playing something in cubase you should also see the levels on the daw 1 & 2 channels and be able to mix them to your preference. If you have a click track you should be able to set the output to one of those DAW channels and adjust that in your mix. I'm not sure if you can specify the output channel of the cubase built in click/metronome, so you may need a midi track acting as the click.

Thank-you my friend, you have helped me out a tonne! I'm going to give this a whirl tomorrow.

Back