Recorded guitar with my new MXL 603 mic

Taylor_214

I recorded this piece with my new Marshall 603 mic. I have a matched pair but i can only use one mic as my current Focusrite Trakmaster only has one channel. This is the chain...

Taylor 214 guitar using EXP light strings, MXL 603, Focusrite trakmaster, audiophile 2496, adobe audition, no effects, no eq, at all.

When my two channel RNP pre gets here this week, i'll record in stereo. I'm happy with the tone and find the mic a bit on the "bright" side. Recorded pointing at 12th fret of guitar, about a foot or so away from guitar, played with medium pick.

http://www.funender.com/music/bands/2278//info_7740.php

sounds good

Awsome stuff. I play in a very similar style. Mostly fingerpicking arrangements of celtic and traditional tunes. I have the 603's and an Mbox, but have not been able to get results this good. Very nice. Perhaps i need to look into an additional pre.

anton

anton said:
Awsome stuff. I play in a very similar style. Mostly fingerpicking arrangements of celtic and traditional tunes. I have the 603's and an Mbox, but have not been able to get results this good. Very nice. Perhaps i need to look into an additional pre.

anton

I think what you're hearing is a pretty good room, in addition to a good pre. My first thought upon hearing the selection was "he's got a nice reverb on that". Then I went back and read that there were no effects.

Pretty cool BTW.

right

Good point about the room and the pre. I dont know about the pre's in the Mbox. I think they are ok, but for some reason i have to turn the gain up to like 80% to get a strong signal into Pro Tools. Part of that may be my light touch. I was thinking about getting a DMP3 to give myself some more gain, but after hearing this recording i am thinking i should save up for a RNP or something instead.

sorry for the minor thread hijack

anton

anton said:
Good point about the room and the pre. I dont know about the pre's in the Mbox. I think they are ok, but for some reason i have to turn the gain up to like 80% to get a strong signal into Pro Tools. Part of that may be my light touch. I was thinking about getting a DMP3 to give myself some more gain, but after hearing this recording i am thinking i should save up for a RNP or something instead.

sorry for the minor thread hijack

anton

I have a DMP3, and it is pretty nice. But I have little experience with others to compare it to. I have heard the Mbox, but not side by side with the DMP3, so no basis for comparison. However, (and I may get slammed for this blasphemy) much of the feedback I have received about the RNP vs DMP3 says that the RNP is only slightly better, and many preferred the DMP3 for solo acoustic guitar.

Folks,

Thanks for listening. I just got my RNP unit today and of course, couldn't wait to record it stereo using two MXL 603. Here's my first shot at it. I find an increase in clarity and depth, as if i'm "right there" listening. I used two MXL 603 with one pointed at the 12th fret about 1 foot away, and the second one on the right side just after the bridge, same distance. It's recorded in an unfinished basement surrounded by cement walls and carpetting on ground. Two mics go into my new RNP unit into audiophile 2496 card, and into adobe audition. No EQ, no effects, no noise reduction, nothing. I recorded and put it up here. The RNP gain dials were on "35 db" for both channels. It's the first time i've used this new hardware like this, so i'm experimenting.

Have a listen but i thin i'm happy now! :-)
Thx!
http://www.funender.com/music/bands/2278//info_7740.php

usually I'd crap on about the clinic but I enjoyed your playing so much.

I own a couple of 603's, now I have to learn to play the way you do!! :eek:

truly beautiful, I've paid money for a lot of music recently and I haven't enjoyed it as half as much as that.

Thanks

...speechless

dude....

that was awesome. i love those tracks.

i realize that was a mic/pre comparison. but that inspired me!

it's awesome man, i haven't been inspired like this in a while. i've shared the link with others. i want to buy your album soon.

I didn't know Segovia played steel string with a pick!

That was pretty sweet, thanks for posting that.

Back