Recorded Audio very low

gafadi

Ok i am stuck in a ultimate Newbie situation.

This is my set up

Mxl 990 condenser microphone > xlr cable > Blue Icicle > PC ( windows 7 )

When i try to record i get very , very low audio or no audio at all.

Did i miss something ? i didnt install any driver , i dont know if i am suppose to .

I tried recording with the Windows Recording device , Audiocity software and they all generate same result.

What should i do.

Well the MXL needs phatom power so make sure its is on the icicle. My suggestion, go with a audio interface. There are tons of USB interfaces that are pretty cheap out there. Do some research before purchasing equipment, it will make things so much easier.

Then he should go back and research how all these things work together. Just think how many questions here would never needed to be asked if a simple search or manual read was done. Just pays to do your research BEFORE you purchase something.

icicle does have Phanton power

# 48V Phantom Power

Well i checked there is a small knob like thing in icicle and i tried recording again , first recorded a audio leaving the knob at same position , then second time the knob was rotated but same result.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mmndbdombwm

there is a sample audio , i breathed into the mxl 990 , its right in front of my mouth . You can hear that , then at the same position i said Check , check but its pretty low.

Do i need to configure icicle or mxl 990 or something ?

Then he should go back and research how all these things work together. Just think how many questions here would never needed to be asked if a simple search or manual read was done. Just pays to do your research BEFORE you purchase something.

I hope you know you are replying me in a "newbie" section and hope you read what it says

"Just starting? Afraid to ask a stupid question? Don't worry, in here nobody will laugh at you. But if it's on a topic covered in another forum, best to post it there."

I guess thats just to lure newbie to ask stupid questions then made fun of i guess.

I checked the products , i went to guitar center and they told me it will work together too. If i knew everything , i don't think i would have been posting here for fun.

Eh don't mind him..

I'll check out the .wma file you posted later tonight. I'm on my netbook right now running linux and I can't open it :\

I'm not sure why the gain knob on the icicle isn't working. Their manual online isn't really helpful..

What levels are you peaking at when you record?

It could be a computer issue, windows issue.

I have found that if you 1st plug into a particular USB port the first time then plug into a different port the computer, sound device may not see it the same. I know it should but I have had issues with midi, audio and wireless internet sticks at various times.

Is the windows sound mixer or whatever software mixer you are using set up correctly and the level is turned up?

Is there a software conflict, windows / whatever going on? Turned up in software turned down in windows kind of problem. What software are you recording too?

The icicle should work fine from what I read, and don't worry about people that forget this is the newbie section.

Cheers
Alan.

It could be a computer issue, windows issue.

I have found that if you 1st plug into a particular USB port the first time then plug into a different port the computer, sound device may not see it the same. I know it should but I have had issues with midi, audio and wireless internet sticks at various times.

Is the windows sound mixer or whatever software mixer you are using set up correctly and the level is turned up?

Is there a software conflict, windows / whatever going on? Turned up in software turned down in windows kind of problem. What software are you recording too?

The icicle should work fine from what I read, and don't worry about people that forget this is the newbie section.

Cheers
Alan.

That's a good point. I couldn't find anything online about the icicle using ASIO (it says no drivers are necessary so I'm assuming it uses the standard Windows sound system)

Try Alan's advice and check to make sure the levels are up in your Windows mixer.

In Windows 7, right-click the speaker next to the clock and click on "Recording devices." Next, select your USB device (the icicle) and click the properties button. There should be a levels tab with a volume slider on it.

I'm back at home now and I just listened to the file you posted. It's pretty quiet. The "check check" part sounds really muffled too..

Heh I wish it wasn't so close to midnight.. my brain is like mush right now. Hopefully I'll have an idea in the morning.

Ah, gafadi, you're back...

Good to hear from you again.

I think I said it would be two weeks before you reposted with a "my vocals sound like ass" question if you bought that Icicle thing. How was I on the timing?

The good thing is that when you sort whatever the issue is that there'll be a reference for other Icicle purchasers down the track...

I seem to recall you also quoted the Newbie forum "rules" last time someone suggested you might be making a mistake. Toughen up kiddo.. or just ignore people (including me if you like...)

stealth_prod - he did research it, there was advice at the time to go for an interface but he's decided to go for the Icicle. Fair enough. It should work, I'm sure it's all sortable, and I'm sure the advice he's been given will help.

Gafadi - when you work it out, please post what the problem was so that the regular newbie helpers can refer to your solution in the future.

Good luck. Seriously. It's all part of the fun... :D

Is the front of the mic facing toward you?
cause that sounded like you were facing the back of the microphone, blew at the diaphragm hard enough to make it distort (physically pushed the diaphragm with a blast of air that made it move much farther than it ever moves when vibrated by soundwaves - hence the super loud distortion), then said check into the side of the microphone that's designed to reject as much sound as possible.

Face that sucker towards you and see how it sounds.
:D

Ah, gafadi, you're back...

Good to hear from you again.

I think I said it would be two weeks before you reposted with a "my vocals sound like ass" question if you bought that Icicle thing. How was I on the timing?

The good thing is that when you sort whatever the issue is that there'll be a reference for other Icicle purchasers down the track...

I seem to recall you also quoted the Newbie forum "rules" last time someone suggested you might be making a mistake. Toughen up kiddo.. or just ignore people (including me if you like...)

stealth_prod - he did research it, there was advice at the time to go for an interface but he's decided to go for the Icicle. Fair enough. It should work, I'm sure it's all sortable, and I'm sure the advice he's been given will help.

Gafadi - when you work it out, please post what the problem was so that the regular newbie helpers can refer to your solution in the future.

Good luck. Seriously. It's all part of the fun... :D

I think you got some issues :spank: i am not even recording anything yet , i am stuck at setting it up properly. I am pretty sure i am doing something wrong , you keep coming back to my thread ? dont you got anything better to do then picking on newbies ? go make a track or something. I hope you are not one of those no life fat computer guy who spends his life in computer chair.

If you are such pro , go to the pro threads i am pretty sure there are people who need your help , suggestions and stuff over there. Newbie section are for people who are not ignorant and are ready to help out people who are not familiar with these stuff.

If you dont have a solution for me , dont come to my thread to "make your point". Not everyone got money to get all good instruments and stuff, i've purchased a oxygen 49 , mxl mic , icicle. I've checked alot of places for beginners like me , it has worked great. Like in other thread i said , i dont have such budget to buy all expensive stuff yet, i am at like the lowest point of being newbie. I am still trying to figure out if i can do this , i am planning to setup a proper studio at my uncles basement next year , till then ill have budget of 5-6 k . But for now i am still trying out shit.

And if i insulted you ? so what ? you did insult me too , keep coming back to newbie threads and bashing newbies. If you really feel offended ask one of the mods to ban me i guess.

First off, calm the hell down and take a deep breathe. I wasnt bashing anyone, just pointing out that half the time newbies come in here and dont even bother to do any research or even read the manual. Obviously there is something going on with the way your doing it so theres a good chance you didnt set it up right, correct?

Are you trying to record a right channel of a mono signal?

Take a pill, relax, and work backwards (after looking in the manaul) and more than likely you will find a relatively easy fix.

and fyi: my suggestion for a audio interface was before I look what the icicle actually did so I guess I assumed incorrectly. I still do suggest you go with a better interface but that can come later.

And I thought I was being encouraging...

And you didn't insult me.

Overreact much?

Look, there's only so many variables at play here, why don't you try varying one at a time and seeing if there's an improvement.

And get a sense of humour, puhleeeeze....

You'll need it here...

:eek:

icicle does have Phanton power

# 48V Phantom Power

Well i checked there is a small knob like thing in icicle and i tried recording again , first recorded a audio leaving the knob at same position , then second time the knob was rotated but same result.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mmndbdombwm

there is a sample audio , i breathed into the mxl 990 , its right in front of my mouth . You can hear that , then at the same position i said Check , check but its pretty low.

Do i need to configure icicle or mxl 990 or something ?

Make sure the 10db PAD on the mxl 990 is NOT engaged. Make sure the icicle volume is turned all the way up, and the 48V phantom power is on. What software are you recording into on your computer? Check your settings there too.

oK there is no volume control or turining Phantom power on/off option . Its basically Plug and play device i guess.

The mic is MXL 990 Condenser mic . I bought a XLR cable connected one end at my mic and second end to icicle , then plugged USB into the computer. It recognizes it , can record but the volume is way too low. I tried with basic 2-3 recording software and same results.

Back