Recorded a friend's original song

humjaba

So this is a very simple, kind of sombre tune that a friend and I recorded on Sunday night. Just looking for some feedback on anything that comes to mind as you listen. Guitar was direct-in, her voice on an MXL 990 and mine on some cheapo AKG dynamic mic. All 3 tracks recorded at the same time, going for a more raw sort of style.

I appreciate your feedback :)
https://soundcloud.com/tyler-z/nothing-left

Sounds really good to me, the chorus is especially nice. A little pitchy in the beginning but she recovers well, she has a great voice. Harmony is real nice. Reverb is very tasteful I think, solid effort.

I like it too. Nice song. She sings beautifully. A little pitchy in the beginning. I'd do another vocal take, just of the first verse. The guitar playing and backing vocals sound great. However, the guitar is all over the lead vocal. Need to clear some space for her.

I will echo what the others have stated. On the guitar, you could try to reduce the volume or you might find the the frequencies she is singing in and reduce with EQ the guitar track in those frequencies to see if she cuts through better. Might just be a simple volume reduction on the guitar.

Such a good job on the vocals, if you can get her to re-cut that start, take care of the guitar, this would be one fine recording. Nice.

She sings pretty low, so it's fighting with the lower strings on the guitar and a little muddy. I'm thinking cut the guitar under 100hz and maybe at 500hz and lower the overall volume by a db or two.

The recording is solid as is.

I'd vary up the guitar playing more, too. It's very mechanical, almost like it could be one pattern that's cut and pasted. Maybe change up that arpeggio pattern or add some trills, etc.

Thanks guys for the feedback :) Guitar already had a 110Hz high-pass filter but a small cut at ~500hz helped too, and I brought it down a smidge overall too.
As far as the verse goes, unfortunately I don't think we'll be able to redo the it... but after listening to it a bunch of times solo and with the guitar I can't hear where it's pitchy? I can usually pick that up pretty quick

Thanks again guys!

Back