Recommended Preamps?

ndycus1

What preamps would you recommend to get for each individual instrument. Can you please separate them into the following categories: Vocals, Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Bass, Kick Drum, Snare, Toms, Overheads/Hi-Hat. The main intention for this is rock music but will also be used for other styles. I am not wanting budget preamps, I want them to be the in the range of Avalon, API, and quality like that. Something in the Focusrite range would be okay too. If more than one instrument will work for one preamp, then specify that. Like saying I could run Vocals, Bass, and Acoustic through a 737. Also, if you could give me some estimated prices on these, it would definitely be a big help too. Thank You.

A-Designs MP-2 ~1665 for Vox and Bass 2 channels
API 3124 ~3K drums 4 channels
Chandler TG2 ~1750 Guitars, bass 2 channels
Sytek ~800 Overheads, 4 channels

About $7215 for 12 channels if you need more channels just get some syteks there decent on most things. All the pres actually could work on anything but if it was my first go at it thats how I would set it up and expect it to sound best.

hey! Someone actuallty recommended the Adesigns MP2???? That's a first on this board, I think.

BTW, I'm not dissing it, I just got one :D

fraserhutch said:
hey! Someone actuallty recommended the Adesigns MP2???? That's a first on this board, I think.

BTW, I'm not dissing it, I just got one :D

I wouldn't care if you were dissing it cuz I know it rocks ;)

also I was trying to go the most cost effective with out losing out on quality

----- my input on a vocal preamp --------
I just purchased a Focusrite Trak Master from www.sweetwater.com. I use it for vocal with a Studio Projects C1 and i'm so pleased with this combonation.
they were running a sale on this pre for 279.00
hope this helps.

The Focusrite TrakMaster isn't quite up to the standard and quality that I was trying to reach. Thank you for your input though.

OSA's..modular lunchbox or rack..The C's are great on drums{kik and snare}..The A's are very nice on overheads and the L3's are very nice on vocals and acoustic guitar..I've never used the L so I can't say much about it..For electic guitar and toms,usally I use the GreatRiver NV's..Vocals it depends on the mic/singer ect could be most any of these and some others,most of the time its a Vipre..one mans perfect is someone elses not quite right..Good luck in your search :)

ndycus1 said:
How would you compare the Avalon VT-737SP to the MP2?

I haven't compared them side by side, but by from what people say the Mp2 is a better pre.

Also you gotta remember its apples and oranges cuz the 737 is a channel strip so if you need a good eq and a useable compressor its a no brainer which one you would get.

I have tried my chandler on almost every different thing I could. I have found it exceptional on guitars, bass, acoustics, strings and vocals. The only thing I haven't really cared for it on is drums (and certain percussive sounds).

Henri Devill said:
OSA's..modular lunchbox or rack..The C's are great on drums{kik and snare}..The A's are very nice on overheads and the L3's are very nice on vocals and acoustic guitar..I've never used the L so I can't say much about it..For electic guitar and toms,usally I use the GreatRiver NV's..Vocals it depends on the mic/singer ect could be most any of these and some others,most of the time its a Vipre..one mans perfect is someone elses not quite right..Good luck in your search :)

Thats a good choice they have 4 difference flavors of pre which I'd think would cover the typical rock band

When you select pres, you do so less for individual instruments, and more for the qualities the mic pres impart. Because on different songs with different acts, you're going to want to change those qualities on various instruments - depending on the overall sound you're wanting.

I'd start with some API's. Either with an API 3124 or some 512C's in a module rack. [ borderline somewhat colored/colored ] Great on everything - especially drums/toms, bass, amps, vox. Anything you want to give a punchy edge and forward sound. API is known for a tight bottom-end. No matter what else you get - get some API.

Phoenix Audio DRS-2: [ somewhat colored to colored ] Original design from PA with a Neve heritage. Transformerless inputs. Very airy and valve-like sound. Killer on drum OH's, vocals, bass, guitars, amps. Great all-purpose pre and DI.

Great River MP-2NV: [ somewhat colored to very colored ] A much more vintage, classic sound. Heavy on the transformers, giving that "iron in the path" sound when the output transformers are driven. Kick, toms, snare, amps, bass.

Focusrite ISA 428: [ somewhat colored ] Very musical pres. Versatile and works well on a lot of styles of music. Just enough color from the Lundahl transformers.

John Hardy M-1: [ clean ] When you're wanting to record acoustic instruments and get a natural sound, the M-1 is one of the best choices. Especially on acoustic guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddles...M-1 is the king of clean pres, IMO.

Sebatron tube vmp: [ softer color ] The pres do a great job at softening the edges on any source. Great on drum OH's, bass, vox, bkg vox, acoustic guitar, percussion. Does a great job of taming harsh transients.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

There's certainly more pres. That list would be a good, versatile choice for a rock studio also doing other kinds of music. All the pres are unique in their qualities, and that selection doesn't duplicate. They all complement each other. If you're really serious [ or even for future reference ] and have the budget, you'd also want to look into getting some real Neve, Telefunken...

ndycus1 said:
How would you compare the Avalon VT-737SP to the MP2?
[ The pre on ] the Avalon has a clean, glassy tone with sparkle in the high-mids. The A Designs has a clean, rounder tone - especially on the bottom end, and smoother in the top.

Last edited:
I'm not happy with my Avalon right now... I got it as a late holiday gift (socially correct holiday reference) to myself. I'm finding that when I engage the low end cut-out in my EQ my signal presents DC off set... You may have heard me inquiring about DC off-set on inputs 1&2 on my Delta 1010LT...turns out my Pre is giving me difficulty. I'm being assured that my unit is defective and can be repaired or replaced if necessary.

It still does sound awsome but there's somthing not quite right about this particular unit. I'm sending it away tomorrow. No regrets otherwise (except for the price). In retrospect, I didn't really need all the additional bells-n-whistles...a simple high quality pre was all I needed. The sexy thing just kept talking to me. So I caved in. I guess I love me too much. :D

So, is it a pretty general consensus that I could get a better preamp for a cheaper price than if I purchased the 737?

for anyone looking in on a budget I have to give out a big shout to the M-Audio Tampa. It really is a nice clean pre and the compresor is outstanding for this price range. Add to that 24/96 S/PDIF output. The lack of a makeup gain is offputting to some people, but 10 minutes with the unit and you'll work around that with the 20Db boost and pad switches.

If you put a Tampa in your rack you'll want a 2nd one before you know it.

Why doesn't M-Audio take that comp and put it in a stereo unit without the pre? it's so sweet!

Back