Recommended Mikes for My Voice - Newbie

teetopkram

Greetings -

After lurking here for a few weeks, I am going to the local Sam Ash and GC to try a few mikes. I am interested in a LDC, $100 - $150, to do some solo vocal, acoustic guitar, and acoustic piano recording. Mainly for voice, however, as I envision adding instrument mikes on down the road.

Anyway, my voice is in the same register as Ben Folds or Michael Penn, but rather mid-rangy without much high or low/character...I describe it as a bit nasally and lacking warmth, my son says I can sing the notes on key but my voice is "uninteresting" (his words). So I guess I need something to "color" my voice a bit?

Based on my reading, I have narrowed down the "try-out list" to MXL67G (liked the sound of it on the piano a few posts earlier), Studio Projects B1, and Oktava MK319. Are there other mikes I should be trying?

For now, I'll just be using phantom power supplied by my acoustic amp (I record through the line out), but will get a preamp in the future. Any recs as to which low-cost preamp matches best to these types/levels of mikes?

Thanks to everyone.

tee, those mic choices are all good to try.

Be careful with any Oktava though, as in the past their QC hasn't been reliable.
Unless you buy from www.oktava.com

Even if the mic works now, it may not in a couple of years due to a variety of manufacturing issues.

IMHO the best "coloration" is to start at the source-your voice!:)

If you'd like some suggestions for vocal improvement, let me know and I'll PM you. BTW have had to/still work on similar issues vocally too.

Chris

P.S. Low cost mic pre=how much $$$?

Back