Recommended combo of soft synths and workstations for under $5k?

Hugh Jazz

Hello all,

I'd like to apologize up front for creating yet another thread asking the same old questions. I have spent a significant amount of time searching and reading older threads, but (like many others), I feel like my question has a slight twist on the previous questions, and most importantly, the messages that I found to be the most useful and informative are over a year old, and I wanted to get updated opinions/responses.

That being said, here's my situation:

I am a guitar/bass player that wants to get some recording done. However, due to my current situation (location and time), it is not feasible for me to work towards building a mini-studio to record guitars and bass. As such, I have decided to take the plunge and invest in a keyboard/synth setup, as I believe it will be "easier" and faster for me to record musical ideas digitally vs. recording mic'ed instruments. I will probably still record some guitar and bass (as most of my music was written on those), but I plan on translating the bulk of the ideas into piano, strings, orchestral sounds. At this point, I am 99% sure that I will be using my computer (which I am currently rebuilding) as the sequencer using either Cubase or Nuendo, both of which I have some experience with.

At this point in time, the budget is not really a major concern, though I would definitely like to keep it under $5k. That basically rules out the Oasys, not that I was looking at that seriously anyway. I am open to both soft synths and workstations, as each has its own benefits. I've done some research, including spending several hours at GC trying out different keyboards, and here's my narrowed down list (as far as workstations are concerned, in no particular order):

1. Motif XS
2. Fantom X
3. Triton Extreme
4. K2661 (have not tried this out myself)
5. M3
6. Rack + controller

For soft synths, I have done some research, and I think the first one I would get would be Kontakt 2, though there are many others that sound very interesting.

My requirements/preferences are as follows:

1. My music will be a combo of rock, electronic, and soundtrack type stuff, with the emphasis probably on the latter two, due the difficulty in finding a good recorded guitar tone. Think of the band Air, as an example of what I think it may sound like.

2. Sound quality and useability is my top priority. The sound I am most concerned about are strings, as they often sound very cheesey. Based on my trials, I found that I liked the strings on the Motif XS the best, although they did have a lot of... grit, for lack of a better term, that I wouldn't want on every single track. I think I can tame that, though. (Side note: how do the sounds on the Motif ES rack compare to the XS boards' sounds?) The Triton had very pleasant strings as well, though a bit more synthy. They would be great for filling in sounds, but they lack the "personality" of the Motif . I wasn't too impressed with the Fantom X's sounds, but I've read great things about the expansion ROM's, which I have not heard myself. Similarly, I was not too terribly impressed with the Korg M-3. However, I definitely did not take the time to tap into its Karma/Oasys engine. In all honesty, I think that may be a bit overkill for me at this point, though I guess I really don't know what exactly the Oasys and Karma engines can do. So maybe it is something I want....

3. Along the lines of the point above, I am not afraid to tinker with the sounds to get what I want. However, I want to avoid situations where I have to tweak for a month before the sound is useable. And by useable, I mean it does not sound blatantly artificial. The Kurzweils sound like they are incredibly powerful and versatile. However, I have not seen any in stores yet. I will keep looking to try it out myself.

4. I definitely enjoy the feel of a weighted keys, preferably 88 of them, but that is not a must. Worst case scenario, I go out and get a controller if I decide to get a board with <88 keys with a synth action.

5. At this point, I think I want to get a workstation and use soft synths to add to my library, vs. using the soft synths as my main setup.

Based on all of this, how would you, the synth experts, spend your money? It's very easy for me to go overboard with this, especially since I have some money to spend. So please keep in mind that this is for someone that's just starting out in the keyboard world and probably thinks he needs more than he really does. Again the sound/music objective is along the lines of soundtracks/scores and instrumentals.

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for the lenghty post.

-HJ

I would consider the Korg TR61 for $999. Fantastic sounds. I would then get a lil sample library especially if you are interested in strings.

Myself, I would go for the M3, but I already have synths by Roland, Korg and Yamaha. For someone starting out, its probably tempting to go big $$ but I doubt it is needed, especially if you are going to be using something like Cubase.

I have a Korg X50 which is very similiar to a TR61 minus aftertouch and sequencer. $699, I cant get over how good it sounds. It has a ton of killer sounds, especially the combis. To me, the key to synths is having a few. I may be in the minority but I would rather have two cheaper synths than one expensive one. I also have a Yamaha mm6 ($599) and its also very impressive but very different than the Korg. Between the two, if I cant pull up a good sound, I suck.:D Each has its good and bad points: the Yamaha has good pianos, E. Pianos, flutes, guitars etc. The Korg is much better at synthy ambient stuff.

Anyhoo, make sure you check out the cheaper ones first, they might be a lot more impressive than you think.:)

Thanks for the reply guys. I'll definitely try to check out the items you've listed. I completely agree that I probably don't need to shell out the big bucks (relatively speaking) for a fancy pants workstation. But after getting a nice bonus at work, I have some disposable income to play with, and it's very tempting to delve back into gear slut mode. However, the ideal situation would be to get something inexpensive for the synth sounds, which will allow me to purchase better monitors and even start working towards getting a nice guitar/bass recording setup.

DavidK: Your respones gives me the impression that cubase is less than the ideal sequencer for the kind of work I want to do. While I know it is not the best for MIDI, what are the specific downfalls of the program, and what would you recommend as a better option? I got play around quite a bit with Cubase, Nuendo, and ProTools back in my college days, so that is what I am comfortable. However, I was dealing entirely with audio, not MIDI. What do you think I should look into?

Btw, how do you guys feel about the Novation X-Station. Based on the reviews I've read here, it sounds like a good board to use as a controller, and supposedly it has some nice sounds (are they "regular" sample-based sounds, or analog modeling synth sounds?) and effects (including audio inputs). It sounds like a good potential supplemental keyboard.

DavidK: Your respones gives me the impression that cubase is less than the ideal sequencer for the kind of work I want to do.

Really?:confused: Nah, cubase is probably great for what you want.

However, the ideal situation would be to get something inexpensive for the synth sounds, which will allow me to purchase better monitors and even start working towards getting a nice guitar/bass recording setup.

Thats what I would do. 5 grand could buy a lot of stuff. Almost every new synth out there is good, even the entry level ones. A Keyboard like the TR61 ($999), Roland Juno-G ($999) etc will do pretty much anything you need. And you have 4 grand left for other toys.:)

Btw, how do you guys feel about the Novation X-Station.
never tried one.

are they "regular" sample-based sounds, or analog modeling synth sounds?)
It is virtual analog. It only has eight note polyphony. I view it as somewhat of a "boutique" synth. It's a speciality synth, whereas the TR61 or Juno G cover pretty much everything.

here ya go and when you check this link the miko is the more affordable...and dont forget to check the synth clone function on it...you can even record audio tracks on it......
http://www.openlabs.com/

So I just spent the last hour or so looking at this site, and I must say that the Miko looks pretty damn impressive. I remember seeing the Neko at GC, but I didn't pay much attention to it. I really like the idea of having everything in a box with the Miko. Looks like it comes with a lot of software, especially the Timbaland edition. As much as I hate getting [insert artist] editions, that particular version looks pretty awesome, especially if you compare the price of it to the price of the Miko LX (for $400 more, you get twice the RAM and a lot more sounds). I do prefer the black version aesthetically, though.

Does anyone know more about the Miko? It seems to be pretty cool for consolidating sounds and having a one stop shop. The one potential drawback I see is the ability to tweak sounds, especially those that you've cloned. However, maybe the software versions of the files will add functionality that will enable one to edit different parameters for the patches.

It also looks like the audio interface is a PreSonus Firebox, which should be good enough for my purposes right now. I'll definitely add this to my "to consider" list. Thanks for the heads up, 50 cal.

According to the specs it's running XP Home, which will be discontinued by Microsoft in about four months.

No good. Excellent observation, though. I just saw the XP and didn't look further.

DavidK: I've look at some reviews for the TR-61, and it looks pretty good. Do you know how it compares to (what I think is) Yamaha's equivalent MO line? I think if I went with the TR or MO series, I might go with the 88 key version. I will definitely try to audition these in the near future.

Keep these great suggestions and comments coming, guys. I really appreciate it.

DavidK: I've look at some reviews for the TR-61, and it looks pretty good. Do you know how it compares to (what I think is) Yamaha's equivalent MO line? I think if I went with the TR or MO series, I might go with the 88 key version. I will definitely try to audition these in the near future.

They are in the same league and a matter of preference. Both are excellent and would serve you well. The Yamaha I have (mm6) is basically a notch lower than the MO line. If I were to choose one I would go with the TR61 based on my style of music but I would be happy with either of them. For some reason, Yamaha has crappy choir sounds and I use them all the time. The Yamaha is probably better for straight-ahead, bread and butter sounds. The Korg is better for ambient, fun, complex patches that have a lot going on. Its amazing what you can do in real time with the Korg. There are combination patches that sound like you are playing with 7 hands.:D Its very impressive. I like the Korg drums a lot better too.

The Fantom X or Triton Extreme would be a good combination with Kontakt2. I like the Roland synths because of the SRX expansion board slots. There are a lot of different boards available, allowing you to customize the synth to your liking and style of music.

For playing live, I use a Roland XV-5080 that's maxed with all the expansion slots filled, along with Kontakt2 running on my laptop. It's a great combination, and I would think a Fantom/Kontakt combination would be just as good or better.

If you've got the money to spend from a bonus, don't waste it on down-market products like some of those being suggested. Spend the bucks and get the real deal.

It's easy to get so used to trying to find the best deal "for the money" that when money isn't an object and you can spend whatever, the same old "budget mentality still takes hold. If you've got the $5k to spend, do it wisely, but get the best equipment you can afford. I guarantee that you'll get a lot better and longer use out of the gear than items that are trimmed down and skimped on features.

And honestly, skip that Miko LX. That's a PC in a box with a keyboard and a Presonus Firebox. I don't see how that's worth $3,500 when you could buy a PC, a Firebox, and a small keyboard, and the software for a lot less than that.

Just another point of view.

If you've got the money to spend from a bonus, don't waste it on down-market products like some of those being suggested. Spend the bucks and get the real deal.

Perhaps. I suppose it has to do more with what Mr. Jazz already owns. 5 grand could buy a hell of a project studio if every penny is spent right. While something like a TR61 may not be as fancypants as the Extreme, its hardly skimping and leaves room for some $$ to be spent elsewhere. A kickass keyboard wont do much without the other stuff (monitors, phones, interfaces, outboard gear, room treatment, etc). Yeah, if money is no object, by all means get the kickass top o the line.:D If it is more of a "once in a lifetime" 5 grand thing, I would at least think about spreading the moola around the studio.

Then again, I am a musician, so I never have 5 grand at one time.:mad:;)

He did say it is not feasible for him to go the mini-studio route right now, which is why he's going with a workstation setup. He already has the computer, and will be using a DAW with that, so all he really needs is an interface. I'm assuming he has a way to hear the music, but you are right, perhaps we shouldn't make any assumptions!

I personally bought the keyboards first and only later got into a greater understanding of the rest of it, the studio side.

If you're interested in synthesizer plug-ins, I heartily recommend U-He's Zebra 2. It's a semi-modular synth that is a sound designer's wet dream. It's drawing some talented preset designers like Howard Scarr and Michael Kastrup.

It's capable of various types of synthesis ranging from va, to wavetable, to fm and physical modelling.

The XMF filter was inspired by antii's filter research and it is attractively priced (especially if the dinosaur crossgrade offer is still in effect.)

Check it out.

He did say it is not feasible for him to go the mini-studio route right now, which is why he's going with a workstation setup.

True.:o

I guess I am far too practical due to neccessity.:( I've built a surprisingly good studio for fairly cheap and can do just about anything keyboardwise. However, if I had the money, I would get the fancier toys too.:cool:

And honestly, skip that Miko LX. That's a PC in a box with a keyboard and a Presonus Firebox. I don't see how that's worth $3,500 when you could buy a PC, a Firebox, and a small keyboard, and the software for a lot less than that.
I thought the same thing and beleive me I dont own no software for music..I have two friends who both have equipment that rivals a guitar center..you name it they probably got it..ya know the voyager se1,fantoms,motifs,v-synth etc etc etc etc.....they both just bought the miko which is fully customizable....1 friend got rid of his voyager and SE1 and some other stuff to get it,the other still has his museum of synths....
So I finally got to see one in person the other day at my friends.....With the bundled software it currently blows my motif out the water, i'm gonna sell my motif,jp8000,and maybe my atc and proteus 2000 to get this,less then a month ago,i thought i was set in my ways I know people who swear by software....sure you can get a computer and build it up but this machine is a steal at $3600 all the 25,000 patches it comes with in the timbalin edition right out the gate will keep most of us busy. I was most impressed how it all was put together and works effortlessly..you would need to probably spend at least over $1,000 for a computer to run these specs,and even then.....I can't say enough about it....after hearing the patches my friends have(they have more patches from a hook-up) I am convinced that I wont have to buy the other keyboards i was looking at wich wouldve totalled another $2-3,000.....
this is something you have to see in person,hook up a vga monitor and you have the 15 touch screen and your monitor to view multiple screens......anyways check it out it warrants 1 good look....they should pay me as a spokesperson..

I originally bought my TR61 for my Home Studio but fell in love with the sounds. So I now use it live gigs to back up my Motif Classic and ES and now use my KARMA in the studio along with my DGX-505 :)

How about an Alesis Fusion 8HD? They're cheap and do pretty much everything. It's all a matter of opinion, but personally I'd stay away of the cheaper stuff from Korg. I've played mostly everything from Korg except the OASYS, and have to say that I don't see a reason why anyone would want a TR or a Triton. But hey, that's just me.

How about an Alesis Fusion 8HD? They're cheap and do pretty much everything. It's all a matter of opinion, but personally I'd stay away of the cheaper stuff from Korg. I've played mostly everything from Korg except the OASYS, and have to say that I don't see a reason why anyone would want a TR or a Triton. But hey, that's just me.

Yeah, its just you.:D Of the big three, I think I would put Korg as my favorite, minus the crappy pianos thay have.

I am boycotting Alesis, too many crappy purchases over the years. It does look cool however (the Fusion).

SonicAlbert: You're exactly right about my reasons for a workstation setup: at this point in time, it's much more convenient and feasible to go this route than to create a mini-studio. While I will inevitably add guitars, chances are that it will primarily just be miced acoustic guitars, which will be much easier to record and manage than micing distorted guitars.

Another good point that you and DavidK brought up is the gear that I currently own. Short of instruments and amps used in live band settings, I currently don't have much in the way of studio gear. My goal is to rebuild/upgrade my computer (which should be manageable in $500-$600, as I only need to upgrade the processor, mobo, RAM, and maybe a new case... I'm thinking about getting a rack mountable one), get some software, a keyboard (workstation or controller), and a set of monitors. When it comes time to record guitars (or maybe before), I may look into a good 1-2 channel pre, condensor mic, and interface--nothing that will break the bank, but hopefully better than a Delta 44....

So... at this point, I'm trying to find my ideal blend of software and hardware to get some ideas down. I am willing to invest in good equipment because I definitely believe in the "buy cheap, buy twice" philosophy, and one of my personal goals is to have a little prosumer setup sometime down the line when I get a house.

bsr2002: How do you think the sounds on your TR compare to those on your Motif ES? I'm particularly interested in the strings and pianos.

Mr. Antrobus: Analog synthesis sounds really interesting and exciting to me. However, I think that will be something I look into down the road. At this point, my focus is on "romplers" and the like.

50cal: So you think the plugins on the Miko are worth it and sound better than the standalone workstations in that price range? Also, do you know how long it takes to clone sounds? By looking at the screen shots, I got the impression that this would be a long overnight process when cloning a workstation like the Motif, Triton, or Fantom X.

Thanks again, guys, and keep the ideas coming.

Yeah, its just you.:D Of the big three, I think I would put Korg as my favorite, minus the crappy pianos thay have.

I am boycotting Alesis, too many crappy purchases over the years. It does look cool however (the Fusion).

It's possible I put too much emphasis on the pianos, as they are shit and the rest of it isn't convincing either. But again, it's just me. Being a pianist, I seek perfection, which isn't a good thing with the limited budget I and probable many others have.

I only have one thing from Alesis. It has proven somewhat crappy. So, I guess that rules the Fusion out for him :/

Back