Recommendations Please? Audio Interface & Studio Monitors

rsilverst

Hi-

I am pretty much a novice at the home recording, though I've done a bit of it in the "hack & slash" mode. Now I'd like to learn to do it better. I have n-track studio installed. I do not foresee myself needing to record more than 2 inputs simultaneously (i.e. electric guitar, probably played through the Line6 PODxt, and one vocal), since the goal here is to create demos of my own material. I plan on overdubbing lots and adding drum tracks, etc. but that doesn't dictate more inputs. I do have an ART microphone tube preamp that came with my Audix (OM-5), but that's all I've got.

My computer system is:

Athlon XP2700 w/1.5GB RAM
80GB WD SATA HD
MSI 6600GT video
SOLTEK MB

I've been using the same crappy PCI Soundblaster Live that was in my computer from 3 generations ago (probably not even as good as the onboard audio on the motherboard). And my speakers are just a pair of desktop computer Yamaha that sound good for what they are, but don't qualify as "studio monitors".

My questions:

1. What do you recommend for an audio interface? Should I go for an internal sound card? Or an external audio interface unit? My budget: I'd like to stay under ~$200 in the used market.

2. What do you recommend for good studio monitors? I'd really just like something that is reasonably true sounding. For style, I guess I was considering things in the general category of the Behringer Truths, though I've only read about those, haven't even heard them yet. My budget: Prefer to be around or under the $300-$400 range in used market.

3. Do I *need* an external mixing board?

I would consider the possibility of expanding this setup if things go well, and I decide to get more serious - so from that standpoint, choosing things that wouldn't become obsolete in an upgrade would be worthwhile. But I want to make it past square one for now :)

Thanks for your suggestions. I know that this has been covered at least partially, so I have tried to be specific about my needs and budget.

Bob

I have a Presonus Inspire 1394 interface. It does a good job. $199 street price, brand new. I have not seen many used. I have no experience with other interfaces. I have read all of the spec sheets and tech specifications on small interfaces from Tascam, M-Audio, and Lexicon. I bought the Presonus.

I use a boom box for monitors, so I won't comment on that.

I am mixing on the computer, in Sonar 4. I don't have an external mixer board. I haven't found a "need" for anything outside of the software. I have played around with the n-Tracks software some. It's very possible to mix with that software. You can mix with several different software packages. So, your "need" for a separate mixer is a personal choice.

Back