Recommendations for Studio Monitors.

Fangar

Hello all,

I am in the market for some new Studio Reference monitors for mixing. I am not too familiar with what is out there. I would like to find something that is powered if at all possible. I have looked at the Alesis M1-Active and think that those might be a good choice. They run about $500.00 a pair. Since I do my final mixing on a PC, any ideas as to the best way to hook them up? Thanks in adavnce,

Fangar

Yo Ragnaf:

Here we go again.....so much on this site about monitors that it exceeds the Dead Sea Scrolls.

However, for less money, around 200 pezzutos, you can get a lovely pair of Yorkville YSM-1 monitors -- they work fine. Are they the best? I doubt it but for the bucks they are very good. You can reach Yorkville on their site and get zeroed in on your closest dealer or get literature. Yorkville has some other goodies too.

If you can get to a vendor and LISTEN to monitors and play some of your stuff and listen, that might help you decide.

As stated by Blue Bear, Alesis makes some good gear but not monitors.

Green Hornet

Brown Hornet (Man, I miss Fat Albert),

Thanks Bro. I will take a look at those. I appreciate it.

Fangar

I have a pair of Event ps6's and they serve their purpose well. Their easy to listen to and have plenty of punch. I recommend em'..

my 2 bits...

I really dig the yamaha ns-10m's...not expensive and used by a ton of serious mixer's...i swear by 'em....I also recommend getting a pair of auratones...very inexpensive little speakers so you can hear how your mix sounds on real world cheap stereos/ in car's etc....almost any mix can sound awesome on mega-expensive studio monitors but who listens to their music with those?...I also have a boom box plugged in as a third reference.....

YSM-1

I have a pair of ysm-1 monitors from Yorkville.

I paid $300 CDN/PR plus all apllicable govn't funding.

I think for the price they are awsome. I have owned some Yorkville Elite PA speakers for quite a while and love the Yorkville products. I'd go as far as to say "I Swear By Them".

Howlin' Dog

Well, I guess I better jump on the band wagon. I've been using the YSM-1's for about three years now and I have to say, they sound pretty damn good.

when you drop down into bottom feeder prices, I like the Tannoy ProtoJ's as well as the YSM-1's.....

I liked the JBL LSR-25p's in that price range. I listened to alot, and almost bought them, but really wanted the digital capabilities of the Roland line. I didn't like the sound of the DS-50's, so I upped my limit by almost double and went for the DS-90a's. My problem was that I am a bass player, and I want that solid low-end sound...

Tom Kemp

Re: Studiophile SP-5B

tntmail said:
I like the Studiophile's. They are clear and have a hefty sound.

$250 for a pair.

hi tntmail,

where did you get the m-audio studiophiles at that price?

thanks in advance for the info!

cheers.

I hate to add this but this morning I found a pair of NS10s at a local pawn shop for 90.00 us , so I talked him down to 75.00, Im Listening to "countdown to extacy" on them right now. Anyone want to buy a pair of monitor ones?:cool:

Prorec review

I read that review a long time ago. I don't agree with some of what the guy said. Especially when it came to the idea of digital interfaces on the Roland speakers. For starters, 24-bit will be the standard for years to come, and it's a great way to get audio into the speakers without concern of picking up noise along the way. On top of that, in the distant future...if it ever goes beyond 24-bit....and we can tell the difference...then you can use the analog inputs instead of the digital. You've gotten years of use out of these S/PDIF interfaces, and still have a nice set of Amplified Studio monitors through it's standard Analog inputs. I love my Roland DS-90a's! I didn't care for the DS-50's, but these sound great.

In some of the cases, the person that wrote that article was rather biased. Granted, if you want the best in this type of monitor, definitely you'll want something like the Mackie HR524's...but the price is much higher than the already high cost of $450 each on the Roland DS-90a's.

The only real way to choose speakers for yourself is going to be:

1. Read what people are saying in these reviews
2. Read what people are saying in these newsgroups
3. Talk to people in several music stores
4. Set yourself a reasonable limit in costs
5. Listen to anything and everything in your price range and make your own decision.

I did it this way, setting myself at the beginning to a $500/pair limit...before a full investigation. However, one that was lacking for me amongst all of the speakers in this category was bass response. I am a bass player, so I couldn't deal with this. I tested JBL LSR-25P, Yamaha MSP-5 and MSP-10 (and some other 'I forget which' model That sounded good), Behringer Truths, Mackie HR524 (for comparison), Roland DS-90a, Roland DS-50, and a few others.

Tom Kemp

Back