Recommendations for a PC MIDI interface please

HHart

I compose MIDI'd-up music on a PC and seek a proper MIDI port interface to get MIDI data into and out of the computer. I use a PC-based MIDI and audio sequencer.

My sound card has no MIDI capability

I use a Yamaha AN1X as the main controller and sound generative keyboard, and also
have a Kenton MIDI-to-CV convertor box for some monosynths. The system also includes two Yamaha sound modules, one on a ISA card and one in an external module running off the serial port. Plan to get one or more additional external keyboards and/or sound modules in the future.

I seek something that is:

- 100% hassle-free, reliable, and longlived. Make that 110% - I am so so sick of malfunctioning MIDI music equipment
- minimum 2 MIDI in, min. 2 out
- I don't necessarily need any portability - a PC card would do fine UNLESS you know
of a better product that is in addition portable

All suggestions/comment gratefully received

HHart

I use the Midiman MidiSport 2x2 - a 2 in, 2 out USB MIDI interface. Works great for me. The MIDI connections are in a break-out box that connects to the computer via a USB cable, so it's easy to access. And it's also portable.

Of course, you need a PC and an operating system that support USB.

And, of course, it's portable.

The cheapest I found it was 79.95 at MIDI Classics (http://www.midi-classics.com).

--Dingo

Back