Recommendation for an audio mixing tutorial?

geneticfunk

I have a few questions about mixing audio, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good tutorial(s).

For example, one question that I have is: Consider two different sets of mixer volume settings for a given project. Assume that there are no effects being used, and that we're only working with audio (no MIDI). Now, assume that for either configuration, the amplitude of the signal leaving the output bus is the same. In Configuration A, the track mixer volume settings are pretty close to the bottom of the sliders, and the output bus mixer volume setting is set to zero (NOT -infinity). In Configuration B, the track mixer volume settings are set to zero, and the output bus mixer volume setting is set pretty close to the bottom of the slider.

Will there be any difference in audio quality between Configuration A and Configuration B?

Anyway, these are the types of questions I'm wondering about. If anyone can recommend a good tutorial(s) or even just answer my question, i'd appreciate it very much =)

I wouldn't need such a tutorial so much I think, but others might want it.

To answer your question: Cubase internally uses a higher bitrate (32 bits) which basicly means that it doesn't matter in what order you do these things, since it's all mixed to gether in such a hi quality enviroment anyway. However, one thing to keep in mind: if something clips on the channel (for instance, too much EQ boost), but doesn't clip in the mixer, because you took the channel fader down, it STILL clips. You don't want reds, anywhere, ever.

Hi, about the clipping part...im new at this recording stuff and mostly recording vocals for reggae/rap type, like genre mattered...

I was wondering in a situation were you only have an instrumental track and everything else is vocal....at what level/gain you like to start when recording...i've been doind it by ear...not whatching too much the levels in the mixer...i want something more concrete to start with and then tweak for the individual recording.

another thing, with a condenser, as a basis...how far you want to be in order to get a high enough level and also protect the condenser with loud enough singers.

Thanks!

Back