Recommend Synth for Live Horn Section

bgavin

Is the PCR2 or similar, the right tool for creating live performance horn sections, using MIDI keyboards?

The PCR2 appears to handle (4) simultaneous MIDI channels, which my keyboards can provide.

I'm an old school keyboard player (Hammond) and a newb at synth stuff. My band does classic rock and motown, and I want to add a simple horn section.

I am interested in this as well. If someone could post a mp3 of what a horn section would sound like, that would be very helpful.

So you want to play horns in a live band? There are lots of synths that do horns okay..... as with many sampled instruments, they will have their limitations, but stabs, short riffs etc. are a strength of many horn libraries. (generally, any solo work will sound kinda weak) What is the PCR2? I have several hardware synths that (IMHO) would do a pretty good job with live horns, but am not sure of a PCR2.

Take Care

To make that type of sound, something that is sample playback as is the Kurz you mentioned, is almost certainly the way to go (IMHO).... but ultimately your ears should decide. If you like the sound of the PCR2, buy it. It doesn't seem devoted much to the type of sounds you want, but it may do the job. Depending on you $$$ factor, you could consider:

www.rolandus.com/products/subcategory.asp?CatID=8&SubCatID=37

the 2020 or 5050, they both take expansion boards and I would consider:

www.rolandus.com/products/subcategory.asp?catid=13&subcatid=55&page=2

There are others as well but these are not bad. I have an XV5080 and like it quite a bit. If you can, go to the music store and listen to what they have as personal taste is everything.

Take Care

Man... the only kick ass horns I ever heard from a synth came off of my friend's ROLAND D-50. Can't remember if he tweeked them or that's how they sounded out of the box. I'm sure there will be others who will differ on this and then it will all boil down to what you think live horns shoul sound like.

Cheers,
:)

I feel my Korg Trinity can produce some quality horn sections if I tweak them a tad.
The question is; do you plan to play them live or play by click live onstage (click is a MD/Midi/CD prerecorded where usually the drummer has the option to listen to a countin click).
Playing by click on a MD/CD you are able to work a lot on the hornsection up front, making it sound really fat.
O'coz; if you are a live keyboard wizard, you could get them to sound fat/play sharp anyways)
A Roland D-50 should be cheap to get these days.

100% live, in real time.

No click-to-play. I see a lot of that done in my area, but it isn't anything I want to do.

Bump.

Any more opinions?
I just can't seem to find a PC2R within price range.

Anybody have experience with the Nano Synth or other box for MIDI Out and live keyboard use.

Have a look at the triton series. Or the korg karma they have good variety of brass sections and horns.

I'm not a keyboard player but that didn't stop me from buying a few. :D I have a Alesis QS-8 that does a decent horn in my humble opinion (and they're cheap now). If you go to mt NoWhereRadio page you can hear it. I used it for the bari saxes and the piano.

I was bidding hard on a PC2R that is closing in 32 hours... I just hate to spend $700+ for a live performance synth.

I'm perfectly satisfied with the pianos I get from my NanoPiano box... well worth the $100 I paid for it. Ditto for the NanoBass box.

I've been hard pressed trying to find a MIDI driven synth that will do horns. I need baritone sax, a tenor section, etc. Just playing live cover tunes, i.e. Van Morrison, etc.

2nd the QS option here. You can get a brand new Alesis QS 6.2 for about $600 (Even cheaper used). In this price range I would say the QS holds the crown.

Hey,

I am going to suggest the Yamaha Motif ES. It has superb Horn Section sounds. They are rich and dynamic. And plus, you have access to a ton of other horn sounds. Believe me, the Motif ES is the synth to check out. From personal experience, I highly reccomend the Motif ES, or check out the Motif Classic.

Have a great night,
Chris

I looked over the Triton Rack, and it is even more pricey than the PC2R.

I'm wondering if I'm looking at too much, and something simpler would do for my needs. I purchased a NanoSynth but it arrived broken so I couldn't do anything except play it in Demo mode. Sounds were OK, but they didn't do any horn samples in the demo.

All I want is something that will some basic horns stuff, baritone and tenor sax, perhaps a brass section, for cover tunes.

Back