Recommend? - same ?, diff criteria

Roger Mac

Hey guys. Sorry to do this to you AGAIN but I'm looking for experienced suggestions.

- live playing, gigging keyboard (local clubs but expanding).
- 61 key is fine, will consider 76.
- realistic strings, horns, etc. are important, plus various other synth sounds.
- velocity sensitive (obviously).
- semi-weighted is cool but will consider other opt if the above stuff is covered.
- do NOT need to record in-board, but will consider

Looking at around $1000 (stop laughing) but willing to go higher ($1500+) if it really kicks butt and the price difference warrants the quality difference. (this is where the experinced comments step up to the plate. Guide me oh lords of the synth!)

I'm sure I missed something but I'm trying to keep it short so you don't leave before replying. :) If I'm totally off base on the $$ then let me know. I consider this an investment and I don't want cost to hinder, but I'd like to keep my car. :)
Thanks!

I have a Roland Fantom X6. Has a wide variety of sounds, with a fair dose of synth stuff. Built in sequencer w/audio tracks is pretty useful for when I need to step in front of the keyboard rig and yell into a mic. :)

You'll find that there are a handful of 61 key "workstation" type boards that are approaching your price range new, and can certainly be found used on ebay in that range (paid $1450 for my used FX6 last summer off ebay). Try them at your local store to narrow down what you like. I personally like the keyboard action and sounds of the Fantom for what I play, but many prefer the Yamaha Motif or Korg Triton.

76 keys can be useful live, as you can have multiple splits on the board at once, to avoid switching patches constantly. If you're only going to be using one board, and you can find a good deal, I'd definitely lean toward the extra keys. 88-note boards tend to have a piano action vs a synth action. Which you prefer is a matter of taste (I've played nothing but synths for 20 yrs, so the piano action is way too heavy for me).

Good luck!

Why not look for an old M-1?

I know,I know, the old Korg m-1 is waaaaayyyy outdated! but, they are cheap,(around $250.00, last time I looked) have really good strings, brass, and a not too bad piano sound. The only drawback is they do'nt have weighted keys! Sorry. But if you can adjust your finger style to a "synth" touch, it would be worth your while to check one out! (e-bay, etc.) I've owned one for over ten years, and I love it!Hope this helps, and, Rock on!! Roy.

Back