Recommend me a good Cubase keyboard for both MIDI and playing without a computer

lord of the pie

I have recently got myself a Cubase setup with Audiobox USB interface. As my Technics keyboard has recently died, I am looking to purchase a replacement, but I have some specific requirements and hope someone can point me in the right direction within my budget.

My shopping list is as follows:

I would like it to integrate it as seamlessly as possible within Cubase 5.1. Possibly any keyboard which you have installed the drivers and is recognised by the software is much of muchness, but as a newbie I don't know. I hope to do most of my arranging/sequencing/recording within Cubase so I don't particularly need this on the keyboard. As I am teaching myself Cubase with a couple of fat manuals, I would like the use of the keyboard to be simple and intuitive as much as it can be.

A large range of sounds. The sounds I like particularly are vintage Hammond, certain traditional instruments (strings, flute, harpsichord, piano), and I also love more exotic flavours from the Middle East and Asia. What would be ideal is if the keyboard natively supported a good range of sounds, with the option of importing others. I am not looking so much to try create and programme my own sounds any time soon, as that would be too much of a time consuming distraction. I am looking to use the keyboard BOTH as a midi controller, and also as an audio instrument to record through a Microphone.

The quality of the sounds. I have seen a Casio CTK-7200 for £279 which seems a good deal for all the abundant features, but someone suggested that for the same money I'd be better with the lower specced Yamaha psr-e443 - the idea being that I would not use many of the additional features on the CTK-7200 and many people think the Yamaha has better quality sounds.

A nice to have would be a pitch bending wheel, which is totally unnecessary but I thought a cool feature on the old Technics keyboard, and I would prefer to not have less than 61 keys.

Please note, I am not expecting something all singing and all dancing on a pittance. I am just stating what I would like, in the hope of getting as many of my desired features within my budget.

Thanks for reading!

Back