Recommend me a decent sound card good for producing music

YBWM

Hi!
I have a little issue I need some guidance with, I need a decent soundcard that I can use when producing music.
Just an example (I can't explain it better): if you want to play hd-movies on your PC you need a graphic card that can decode the hd-video = hardware decoding, if your card can't play hd-movies the CPU will decode the video.
I need a soundcard that can decode the sound by itself i.e. the sound processor decodes the sound, not decoded by the CPU etc. Just as the example above but a soundcard instead of the graphic card example.
I don't know what the feature I need is called but I think it's called ASIO, and I don't know how to check if the soundcards has this feature.

I am going to use the card when I produce music in FL Studio and Cubase so ASIO is important.

So, guys, what soundcard brand/model do you use? And what can you recommend me?
Currently now the soundcard in my PC is a Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Champion (SB0460) and I think I need a better card for producing, also this is a PCI card and i would rather have a PCI-E card.

I can't spend a fortune on the card, maximum price is ~220$ (~175€)

Hope I can get as many replies as possible :)

Thanks //YBWM

Read the sticky threads at the top of the Newbies section of this forum about computer recording.
Although you can get a PCI card, it is generally recommended to get an audio interface that connects to your computer via USB or Firewire so that if you swap out computers, you have less issues.
'ASIO' are the drivers (i.e. software) - they are always in the computer's RAM/memory, not in the card itself.

I agree with MJP... no matter how manay good sound cards i went through there was alwasy some lag (latency ) or noise.. or some other kinda issue that made it difficult.. and even using ASIO. I went and said i wasnt going to deal with high end sound cards anymore. I bought a tascam FW-1080. it is so much better!.. Though it is a FIREWIRE device.. USB devices can work just as good. I have my BOSS GT-10 and BOSS DR-880 and Roland Gr-55 that has thier own Builtin USB interface. And they work ok with some tweaking to to DAW software; One thing i lke about the FW-1080. is that i can record 8 tracks simultaniously! Nice!! :O) The interfaces basically are like a sound card. persay i mean when you are selecting the device via your DAW setup. I wouldnt go any other way now then using Audio interfaces rather then trying to get a soun into a 1/8" jack on a sound card :O)

Back