Recomendations for live metal band

killmachine

Hello old recording board! It's been 2+ years since I've posted on here, so I doubt anyone remembers me.

Anyway,

I play in a progressive-math metal band (term sounds stupid yes I know). We are at the point now, where we've fully incorporated the use of a wide variety of samples in the live format. So far we've been using a Boss Sp-303. Since the singer is incapable of controlling the thing when he's hoping around on stage, I the guitar player get stuck hitting buttons.

So, I have to hit buttons on time, sing or yell, and play sometimes pretty complexed guitar stuff, and hit my Fx pedals. All this at the same time. The time has come for us to add a 6th person. Since this is the case we'd like to expand on having that extra person, and get much more into different instrumentation you can do using a keyboard IE synths, piano, strings, some programing.

** My question is does anyone have any recommendations of what to use. I will more than likly be the one purchasing any equipment, and I'm by far the most advanced in the world of anything audio related of the guys I play with so.....

I'd like to keep the samples running, and have some keyboard use. I can't decide if I want to use some type of synth, or midi controlled program to sample and play keys, control the sampler via midi with a keyboard, or what.

So far, I've considered: a microkorg with sampler hooked up midi to assign the pads to a key and then have the rest of the keys. Getting a kaossilator to use a simi synth with effects. Or getting one of the M-Audio Axiom controllers and somehow setting up the pads to the samples and then running some type of VST on the keys themselves.

http://www.myspace.com/preemptivestrike

IMO I'd recruit first. I wouldn't purchase any gear until you're sure the new member is comfortable with it. They will most likely have a preference.

If they don't, I'd definitely go with a computer set-up. It will be pretty pricey, but get a DAW computer and a nice MIDI keyboard for the sampler. I suggest that you rig that up with Reason to boot. The computer will open many doors for your music. You'll have easy access to samples, synths, programming, effects, etc. Plus there are plenty of other hardware options you can add onto the computer, such as Scratch Pro and electronic drums.
If you want to keep it cheaper there are free alternatives to reason, and you can pick up a cheaper keyboard.

Good luck.

Find a metal keyboard player with a Moog Voyager and some MoogerFoogers to add to your current setup.

That's gonna be the quickest way to get to something nobody else is doing.

Good luck!

:D

Fellas, thanks for the input.....

Keep it coming,,,,,,,

I agree with having said person agree to what they are comfortable with, the biggest problem is..... I can get all sorts of people to do it, they just don't want to spend the $ because simply, it's not there thing. To me it doesn't matter I'd just assume have the stuff regardless, since I'm gonna be the one doing a majority of the set up, programing, etc.

Ideally I'd like some type of midi controller with everything running completly on the fly, as in realtime,

I've not a lot of experience with midi controllers and for that matter that whole realm of recording with them. I am more of a old school type of engineer! Hit the button make the machine work,

I think you're going about this the wrong way. You should recruit a keyboard player that knows what they are doing. Anyone that knows what they are doing would also already have their own instrument. Many of us also actually have workstations that have sampling capabilities so there would be no issue with triggering the samples for a decent keyboardist.

If you are in the Los Angeles area, I would volunteer and bring my Kurzweil K2600XS on board, but I have a full time job and can only dedicate the weekends to this.

Back