Recomendations for diy low wattag med gain tube amp

Thurgood

Hello all:
I am looking to build a small size tube amp that outputs approx 12-30 watts that features a TMB type tone circuit, no verb and medium gain and more headroom than a 5e3. I have a few amps that fill the bill on hand but I want to build one of my own. I am finishing my 5e3 which will round out the stable but it gets too dirty and odd too fast. ( I have another to compare as this one is not finished). I love the cabinet style and portablility of a small 1x12 combo. The Marshall style 18 watt is in the category but I would like greater control over the Mids. Any thoughts? (other than take the existing amps instead). Something small (size) under 40 lbs with cabinet. Oh, easy to construct too. Thanks, Be Well All. WS

Nobody? It is not to say I haven't looked elsewhere but I thought you lovely folks might have some input. Guess not.

Do some reading, and modify the 5E3 you have (or will soon finish) to get much more clean headroom. It's not difficult at all, but after a while you wonder why your 'tube' amp sounds as cold and sterile as any solid state amp. ;)

with the 5E3, start with changing out tubes and then the speaker for starters or vice versa. If the speaker is a low wattage then it will break up sooner. try something in the 50w or 75w speaker range for a little more clean.

Maybe give this a read to start off.

YOUR fav 5E3 tweaks

or maybe the Paul C mod (google it) or try here (HomeBrew Tweaks - AMPS!). I believe there is a small schematic of it on the page about halfway down.

Last edited:
Back