Recipe for mixing

3 cups of flour, an egg, a teaspoon of table salt, some corn starch and a little yeast and away you go.

;)

Billyo488 said:
You recorded all the tracks.
Whats your process for mastering through it all...?

Just do what the song tells you to do. It ain't rocket surgery. :D

dont forget to preheat the oven first!

you surely do not want an undercooked mix.

especially if you are looking for that "brown sound"

NL5 said:
Just do what the song tells you to do.

A couple of metal songs I worked on told me to worship the devil. Then I've worked on some Christian Rock bands that have songs which tell me to worship Jesus.

I'm so confused ...

I think of "mastering" as the last steps in the process. Before mastering, and after "tracking" is mixing. Putting the individual tracks together into one stereo track. Each individual track is adjusted for any errors that are possible to correct. Each track is placed in the stereo field. Each track's volume is adjusted. Some effects are inserted. Tweak until all sounds good. Then mastering. Adjust volume to "standard". Convert to 16/44100. Place on media.

www.tweakheadz.com

All kidding aside, this question once again (at least to me) raises the importance of good monitors & a good room. I can't count the number of times someone has asked me "how do you start a mix". I see their room and hear their stuff and things are always out of balance... they hear their mix on someone else's stereo (in someone else's room) or in someone else's car and wonder why the kick/solo/bass/vocal/etc is too loud/soft. Everyone has their own way to build a mix... there is no tried and true formula. Grab Bobby O's Mixing Engineers Guide... several top names relay their methods. Try one... try 'em all... and figure out what works for you - it may be that you do it different every time. Make sure you're listening through decent monitors... make sure you're not monitoring too loud/soft. Get your hands on a LEDR test and see how your room handles it... etc. etc. etc. Listen to music in the same genre, but listen to the details; how loud is the guitar compared to the kick, how loud is the snare compared to the kick, how loud is the vocal compared to the guitar, etc. etc. etc.

As I've mentioned in other posts, as much as everyone would like it there is no "Easy Button" for mixing/mastering.

If your mix seems to be missing lo end (for example) then add low end at the mixing stage rather than wait till the mastering stage. Get your mix as close to finished as you possibly can at the mixing stage.
I used to be warey of using too much lo end at mixing so was sparing in it then would pile it on at mastering. But I am getting a thicker more natural sounding low end from getting it right at the mix first.

Eck

Billyo488 said:
You recorded all the tracks.
Whats your process for mastering through it all...?

It's not that people don't want to be helpful. It's just that you are probably at the stage where you know so little, that you aren't even able to formulate a meaningful question - or at least, one that could possibly be answered in a short space.

It's kind of like if I wrote to you and said:

"I've decided to get married and have children. Up until now, I've never been out with a woman. Please walk me through the whole process."

littledog said:
It's kind of like if I wrote to you and said:

"I've decided to get married and have children. Up until now, I've never been out with a woman. Please walk me through the whole process."

Nawww.... mixing and mastering is much easier to explain ;)

Dog is right, the OP question is so broad that takes a whole book to answer. Bobby Owsinski's books are good, as is "The Art of Mixing" by Bill Gibson. I'll also be putting out a hypertext on "4D" mixing technique sometime in early 2007.

G.

littledog said:

Get a dog.... Much less pain

you guys are pretty gay lol read the question right, wut was your process for mastering after your done mixing. I know that it deffers from every song, but the basic things. That doesnt tell you what i do, that doesnt tell you what i have, so how can you make fun of something you dont know about ?
Overall Little dog is the bigest dumb ass of you all.

Billyo488 said:
you guys are pretty gay lol read the question right, wut was your process for mastering after your done mixing. I know that it deffers from every song, but the basic things. That doesnt tell you what i do, that doesnt tell you what i have, so how can you make fun of something you dont know about ?
Overall Little dog is the bigest dumb ass of you all.

You don't happen to do rap, do you? That would explain a lot of things.

well first I need to say that I just found out that I am America's first Space Booster ... shazaaaamm! :rolleyes:

second, your question has been answerd like 1,000,000 times on this, and many other recording forums.
So once again,
Q) what is your mastering process
A) whatever the song needs ... i.e. some people use multiband compression, EQ sweetening, light single band compression, limiting, room modelling - this is only one aspect of mastering - the processing. In reality, this type of home mastering can help you figure out what's wrong with your mix rather than give you a "final copy". If you are serious, get to a real mastering studio with your mixes. And if for some reason you can't make good mixes, then spend money and get your stuff recorded and mixed at a semi-pro or pro studio.

If you are in it for pure fun/self-education and not cash ... grab a multiband compressor, a limiter and a linear phase EQ and have some fun with "home mastering".

also, read read read read before asking anything. Chances are it's already been asked before and you can avoide blokes like me dishing out half answers that will confuse you more than help you.

:D

Back