Rec/Playback Question

ShebaStudios

Hi All,

I have a tascam series 70 4 track on 1/2". I was wondering, are the track outputs always off the playback head?

What I am trying to ask is do I have to physically rewind the tape and play it back to get the information from the tape or can I transfer the material while recording.

I'm just not sure if outputs are off the playback head while recording or just a loop through of the inputs when in record mode?

Sorry if I'm not making much sense, hopefully someone can speak newbie.

I'm not familiar with higher end machines, but I would imagine that if you can monitor from the tape instead of the source, then yes you would be hearing what was just put down onto the tape. I can only assume that the outputs would have the same feed as the headphones when you are monitoring the tape.

Bueller?:confused::p

When you are overdubbing and a track is in "sync," you are listening off the record head. When you switch the track to repro (sometimes labeled "playback) you are listening to the play head.

Thanks for the input.

My 70 series has a dial for each track that is labeled rec/safe/or sync. It also has a monitor switch between re/playback.

My understanding is that the monitor switch is to set the level to the deck (when set to rec) and out of the deck (when set to play).

With the dial however. I have to have it set to rec in order to rec. The sync setting in for overdubbing and therefore would disable any recording on the track while playing back.

I think this means that there is no way for me to simultaneously rec and playback off the tape. The monitor select must be a loop through of the input and not off the playback head. If it was off the playback head then theoretically I would not be able to hear anything unless I was recording, right?

Back