Rec/playback levels

robin watson

Soundcraft 6000 desk > HD24

My Elco - 1/4" sends/returns (for the multitrack) were wired unbalanced when I bought the desk and have remained that way. The Elcos are 5m, I believe.

I was wondering if the fact that I'm using unbalanced connections may be the cause of a pretty big difference between monitoring levels when recording (through the desk's pres) and then playing back. It's a major pain, since whenever I record through the desk's mic pres, I have to reset the trims at playback.

Can anyone offer anything?

Seems pretty silly that trims should require constant adjusting all the time.

I have a soundcraft console that I run unbalanced cables from to a Fostex 24 tr hdr - At a guess - this is not a balanced/ unbalanced isssue as much as a -10 db +4 db issue - I would suggest you have some mismatch between the levels in the desk and the HDr - -Soundcraft desks were usually set up for +4 db line level operation - (whether balanced or unballanced) but check the manual on your desk on the SOundcraft website .

Hi, Ross, and thanks for posting.

The Master section does have -10/+4 switching (per channel), and I've tried both positions in the past, but it didn't alleviate the problem. In fact, it didn't appear to make any difference at all.

Something can't be right though, I'm sure.

Back