rec level problem...

lesterpaul

Good morning all, I loaded up cakewalk home studio on my laptop, and i'll admit i use CW infrequently so i may be overlooking something simple. I run through an Alesis mixer into the line input on my desktop and everything works fine, so on the laptop i did the same, but my input levels are peaking and i barely have the mixer turned up, also the level in my headphones rather low. I went into the audio settings in the laptop and everything is low .

the way i'm running is guitar / bass direct in- alesis out of aux a.b into PC out of PC into mixer aux a/b then headphones on mixer....

something else, even when i designate the left or right in CW it won't seperate the incoming signal (we were doing bass and guitar at same time direct) any help is appreciated

metalhead28 said:
Are you sure you're not using a mono mic input on your laptop?

no, i'm not sure it's probably 2 to 3 yrs old Sony viao. how would i tell? Is this in refernce to my not being able to split the channels? or would it also matter in the level being too high?

lesterpaul said:
no, i'm not sure it's probably 2 to 3 yrs old Sony viao. how would i tell? Is this in refernce to my not being able to split the channels? or would it also matter in the level being too high?
That could explain both. A mic input is mono, and usually has a (low quality) pre-amp built into it. That's one of the reasons most people recommend not using the mic input.

You can probably solve the level problem by going into the Windows mixer. Select the Recording controls option, and take a look at the microphone fader. Usually there will be an checkbox option for attenuation, or mic boost, or something along those lines (might be under advance controls).

If the checkbox is for attenuation, then check it. If it is for mic boost, then uncheck. You get the idea.

As for the splitting signal issue, you will be out of luck. It is a mono input and will only allow one signal at a time.

thanks for all the replies, i have an M Audio pre USB that i should use it will probably solve all my problems, but i'm still new with it and i was hoping to do some quick recording....

btw, i was using the aux sends from my mixer

Back