reassurance, please

LfO

Last night, I upgraded from Home Studio 2004 to Sonar 4 Producer. The financial loss hurt. It still does. It makes me anxious...
anxious enough to start a thread asking for people to make me feel better. Please, tell me I did the RIGHT THING!!! Tell me how great the Lexicon reverb and freeze feature are! Tell me I'm starting a new life! Tell me I need medication!

Alternatively, you could tell me to stop whining and wasting your time, but that wouldn't be very neighborly, now would it?

Why didn't you just upgrade to Sonar Home Studio 4? What feature did you need in Producer? Surround sound? The better FX plug-ins?

The freeze feature is just a convenience which can be accomplished otherwise with a few additional steps.

brzilian said:
Why didn't you just upgrade to Sonar Home Studio 4? What feature did you need in Producer? Surround sound? The better FX plug-ins?

The freeze feature is just a convenience which can be accomplished otherwise with a few additional steps.

Way to make him feel better :)

There are a lot of goodies in S4 Prod that will make you feel warm and fuzzy for a long time to come. So relax and enjoy :)

Sonar 4 producer is absolutely excellent. Track folders, freeze, and future upgrades being cheaper are all reasons to go all out. The stability of Sonar 4 is excellent and the product support is great. Make sure you go to the sonar forums as well as this forum.

Brzlilian: The nice fx pack was why I went with producer, but I anticipate freeze making my studio process much more enjoyable. I'm frequently running out of CPU cycles with the softsynths and effects I'm using, and I like to tweak those a lot - unloading/reloading softsynths all time is certainly possible, but it takes a lot of focus away from the fun parts of the process. And, for me, its all about having fun. Same thing goes for folders.

Eagerly awaiting that FedEx package...

If you're working on larger or more complicated projects, you're in for a treat! Put it this way, asside from specialized or personal preference plug-in's you won't be wanting for much that's for sure. The per track EQ was one of my big wants when I was using HS a couple years ago.

Feeling better yet?

Woot! I forgot about the per-track EQ! It's like Christmas in August!

Yeah, I'm a track-hog - I like layered vocals, layered synths, layered etc...

:)

I really like it, butI'm gonna opt for dual monitors. It's just too crowded for my dimming eyes.

Did you buy an "upgrade" Sonar, or the full package? If you bought the full package, I think a really nice feature is the free upgrade to Sonar 5 when it comes out. I assume there's something similar if you bought the upgrade, but I don't know.

MrBoogie said:
Did you buy an "upgrade" Sonar, or the full package? If you bought the full package, I think a really nice feature is the free upgrade to Sonar 5 when it comes out. I assume there's something similar if you bought the upgrade, but I don't know.
Yes, they are currently running a special on upgrades to Producer Edition 4.X which includes a free upgrade to 5.0 when available. It runs through Aug 30th (unless they choose to extend it).

So lemme get this straight...I have the producer version now...does that mean I'll be able to get the version 5 when it comes out? :confused:

Only if you bought it VERY recent. I don't remember when that offer started. Check the Cakewalk site for the details.

Whether or not it was worth it is really up to you.
It definitely isn't going to hurt you.
The freeze function will get you more mileage from your processor.
The track folders will make big projects easier to work on.
The per track EQ may hit your processor,depending on what kind of CPU headroom you have.

punkin said:
So lemme get this straight...I have the producer version now...does that mean I'll be able to get the version 5 when it comes out? :confused:
I think the special started on August 16th. When did you get yours?

Hey... Call me dumb, but I just found that I can open project saved in Sonar 4 PE with Sonar 3 PE... :D

It was imposible to open project saved in 3 PE with 2.2XL... :p

;)
Jaymz

Sorry to say the Lexicon reverb is one of the weakest features in Sonar 4 Producer. The Sonitus plug ins are the real show. Very good all purpose plug-ins.

It's excellent software throughout. You will be amazed.

Middleman said:
Sorry to say the Lexicon reverb is one of the weakest features in Sonar 4 Producer. The Sonitus plug ins are the real show. Very good all purpose plug-ins.

It's excellent software throughout. You will be amazed.

Agree... Lexicon was over rated. I end up never using it. Sonitus rocks! Compared with Waves, Sonitus is more CPU friendly...

;)
Jaymz

I'm just so happy I found the volume control for the audio metronome. First time I used it I thought I had lost one eye through my ear. :)

But, I like 4P.....

I think the Lexicon reverb is great! :)

However, nothing is like impulse responses. :D I'm beginning to get a good collection of my own IRs. Maybe I should publish them. I'll have to think about it...

I got it on Thursday, and spent most of the weekend playing. I end up using freeze less than I expected (though it has gotten some use) - but I'll agree that the Sonitus fx are the highlights. I'm pleased as punch that the delay has a host sync - big step up from the one in Home Studio from a couple years back...

Back