Reason 2.5?

MadStrum!

Does anyone use Reason 2.5?
I like to know how it fares compare to Sonar 2 and Cubase SX ...
I would like to choose between Reason 2.5 and Cubase SX because Sonar seems to be giving me latency issues with the soundblaster live...
If I am having midi latency problems ... as in when I play the keyboard.. the sound comes on the computer a split second later .. can it be solved by switching over to either Reason 2.5 or Cubase SX?
Thanks.

Pier.

Reason is something very different than Sonar or Cubase. It's a software synth/sampler/sequencer but is NOT an audio recorder.

Creative Lab's own sblive drivers are not really usable for multi track recording, because of the latency.

For low latency, go to http://kxproject.spb.ru/index.php?skip=1 and install the KX drivers. It takes some effort to understand the interface but worked fine for me.

MadStrum! said:
So will the midi/dxi latency get better if I switch to , say a Audiophile 2496 sound card?
Apart from the fact that I didn't imply anything like getting a different soundcard.. Yes, getting something like an audiophile 2496 will help you to get a low latency, not to mention a better sound quality.

Ive used reason quite a lot. The cakewalk project 5 thing seems to be very similar.
However, neither of them are full fledged multitracking programs. Thats fine, though. You can use another program for that. I personally would choose Reason 2.5 if you are looking for analog synthesis and drums. Reason is very easy to use and sounds good. I use the pattern sequencer a lot, which the new cakewalk thing also seems to have.

If you are recording instruments like guitars and basses you will need something other than reason or project 5. If you only want to "virtual" instruments and dont plan on recording guitars and vocals or live drums than just reason would be cool. Reason is especially good for dance music, hip hop, etc, although with the sampler you could do just about anything with it.

47ronin

Back