Reason 2.5

wakeupbomb

Ok, so I've been messing around with Reason lately. I got a full copy of it from a friend who bought it and then decided he didn't like it. Anyway, it has a song (a default song I assume) already laid down in the sequencer whenever I bring up a new session. When I delete everything in the sequencer and hit play, everythign that was there still plays. How do I get a BRAND new session in Reason? I want to have everything there without anything programmed into ReDrum, or the Matrix, or whatever else there is that you can actually program a pattern into. Can someone help?

p.s. Also is there a book that helps with learning Reason? I'm getting the hang of a lot of it, but I like to have books to help with things. Is there like a Reason for Dummies? THanks.

to start a brand new session in REASON:

Go to File>open and then navigate to you Soundbank folder and open an "Empty Rack". This will give you the audio out only. From here it is up to your imagination :) It would be wise (espescially since you are new to the program) to start with a ReMix unit (the 14 channel mixer). It's set up like hardware and whatever you add next will automatically be patched into the mixer.

I personally start out with Redrum and process the drums real well, there's been plenty of times I've had to layer drums and had to use a couple of them. Be sure to try out the Scream Distortion if you get a chance, the Tube emulator works really well for beefing up kicks and basses. If I'm going all the way (ie: not playing "real instruments" by myself) then I'll add a bassline via the NN19 or the Subtractor and maybe some of my self made samples kicking off in the Dr. Rex player. Since I am a solo songwriter, I mainly use Reason as a drum unit. But it's really really nice!!!

Adam

by the way,

there's no "Reason for Dummies" (that I know of anyway) I have seen a cd-rom tutorial on it that has gotten good reviews. It uses quicktime and it's called "Producing Music With Reason".

In the meantime, just keep playing around with it. You'll catch on! :P

Adam

Thanks everyone. I'm really excited to get started with this thing. I had reason 1.0, but that was back in my days when I thought it was cool that I could get things for free off the internet, and I didn't play with it hardly at all. Now I have an actual copy of it and I'm ready to. Thanks again.

Back