reaper??

Re-tox_stl

So i have just been turned on to reaper, and i just wanted to know what everyones thoughts and feelings about it are. Just and fyi, all i plan on doing at the moment is recording some acoustic guitar, hand drums, vocals, and synth stuff.

Reaper is awesome. Perfectly capable (and probably easier than the alternatives) of doing what you want to do.

you wont go wrong....

dont use it myself but if i had to do it all again it would be on my list

energyXT2.5 is worth a look as well as it has a drum sequencer if thats attractive to you

I love IT

It's just perfect for me.
I would pay what ever i had to in order to keep Reaper (don't tell that to the guys at Cockos :) )
But seriously, in search of my perfect D.A.W. i tossed over a grand on pro-tools, just to sell it for $400 less a few months latter.

What ever you can think of....Reaper probably does it.

Of cousre that does mean it will be perfect for you....Reaper just thinks the same way I do.

AWESOME! Thats exactly what i wanted to hear. Two questions though. 1) What is the difference (feature wise) between the expensive version and the $60 version? 2)What audio interface would you recommend for it?

AWESOME! Thats exactly what i wanted to hear. Two questions though. 1) What is the difference (feature wise) between the expensive version and the $60 version?
No difference in features. You should get the commercial license if you make a significant amount of money using Reaper. The exact amount is noted on their site. I think it's around $20K/yr, but don't remember exactly. But even that decision is left to the user, on the honor system, to their credit.

i've used reaper and personally i couldn't get into it.. it seemed to be able to do everything any other daw could do, but take extra unnecessary steps to accomplish just about every task. i found myself taking extra time to record things that i recorded in other daws much faster (and easier) .

one nice thing about reaper though is it didn't seem to have any "limits" which most more expensive daws do have. i just couldn't personally work as efficiently with it for some reason.

...i couldn't get into it... take extra unnecessary steps to accomplish just about every task. i found myself taking extra time to record things that i recorded in other daws much faster (and easier) .
For me it was exactly the opposite.

I was a strict Sonar user. From Guitar Tracks through to Sonar 7 and then tried Reaper one day. Not loaded Sonar since I stripped my mixes out of it.

Reaper does everything I want it to do and feels nice to use. Everything is simple, at hand. The keyboard shortcuts are fantastic (I don't use a mouse often)

The price of it is dirt cheap and if you don't pay for it, you only have to wait an extra 5 seconds for the full suite to load up with no limitations. Constantly being updated with new and improved features. The audio engine/system use is second to none. Other DAW companies could learn a thing or two from the guys at Cockos. They implement an awful lot of features that average users like you and me ask for! ;)

It gets better all the time. Definitely the best £30 I ever spent!

2)What audio interface would you recommend for it?

I use an 8pre by MOTU, but anything ASIO should work fine.
I haven't tried it but i heard the dice 2 firewire chip-set might cause some issues on certain systems.(motu doesn't use dice 2) Although others have commented that they had no problems.
I'm going back to PCI so I'm not worried about that.

For further info you might wanna check out the Reaper forum on the site. Or you could just go over the the reaper home page and check out that forum.

Not sure what rupert4444 was talking about in particular, but if you found yourself having to press to many keys to do a certain task, you can change the key commands to what ever you want.
You can almost customize the whole program to run, route and look the way you want it to............you just have to play with it. When i first used it i thought it was just to confusing, but the more complex i became in my recording and mixing, Reaper was always there two steps ahead of me.

I moved from sonar to reaper and have never been happier.

It uses FAR! less system resources. Which is what i was after. The simple fact you can run this DAW from a flash drive speaks volumes about its resource consumption.

I find i have less glitches with reaper thne i did with sonar.

And not so importantly, i find i like the look of reaper better.

The only pitfall to reaper is that some aspects of it are kind of not so user freindly and require a bit of thought. But thats only when you really start to get down and dirty with some of the finer tunings of it.

But i don't go that deep. I basically plug in and hit record. then mix.

Can't go wrong dude.

Fear the Reaper?

Hey i just tryed reaper for the first time, and in about 20min i recorded something, ive only used fruityloops in the past <i know how bad that is, and im a analog guy. you should hear my song, 'shake your ass'.>

my only issue is the pdf is huge. and im on dial up.

one thing thou, i just downloaded reaper less then a week ago, and its counting down to expiry, is that normal, could they have added a new patch and changed the rules? i plan on buying it adventually, however at the moment im worried about it self destructing and taking my efforts with it.

Peace World
Tremaine

Reaper counts down the 30 day trial, after which you can still use it, fully operational, but have to wait an extra 3 seconds for it to load.

but for some strange reason right after I registered my version of reaper everything came out BIGGER and WARMER.

no....I'm not serious.
But this D.A.W. could easily sell for $500
The $60 bucks is more like a kind gesture.

Tremaine I think you will really like reaper It is easy to understand, and very very powerful when you start getting deeper into it.

-Mike-

This is an old post and people get annoyed by people bringing it up again but, once you get reaper wether you buy the lisence program not, do you have to be connected to the Internet to run reaper? Or is it a download permanently on your computer?

Back