Reaper won't play. No playback cursor doesn't move. HELP!

theCKWilliams

O.k. Everything has worked just find for months and i wake up last weekend and NOTHING works in reaper. The cursor doesn't more. I push "play" and it looks as though it's playing only the cursor doesn't move but it says "playing" next to the measure/time counter. same thing when I hit record. Again, this total setup worked as of less than a week ago. I shut down the computer, came back 4 or 5 days later and NOTHING.

Computer Specs: Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 @ 2.5ghz, 6Gig RAM, Vista 64 bit Home Edition, using Reaper 2.58, ASIO4ALL v2, output(s) are set to Realtek HDa SPDIF Audio Output 1 / Realtek HDa SPDIF Audio Output 2

WTF am I doing wrong!?

PLEASE help. I have a child due in just over 2 months and I have a project I would really like to finish before he is born because I know I'll have little to no time to spend on it once my seed sprouts for AT LEAST the next 2 years. I already work close to 70hrs a week so my time is very limited. PLEASE, HELP!

which one? Asio? Reaper? Both?

are you serious?

what would make it do such things?

When you open Reaper, open the ASIO Control Panel. If it says that something is idle/disconnected, then there's a problem with the ASIO Drivers working with Reaper. If you try, say, Audacity with ASIO and it works, then you know for sure Reaper has a problem with ASIO. I'd recommend that first.
I don't really know what the problem is, but you can try both. If you do uninstall Reaper, make sure you back up all of your Project files (along with the source audio) before you uninstall anything.

absolutely! if i lost everything again, it would be the 4th time in 2 years all of my work would be completely lost. i have a laptop with a bad motherboard that has all my old projects on it. good advice and i will try it. i believe i used asio with audition so i'll try reloading that and see where it gets me. I am receiving no error codes or messages when using reaper. in fact, i've seen other posts on other forums where in the top right corner it says "disconnected" or something like that instead of what I have, "44100Hz 32bit 2/1ch 1024spls ~23/23ms ASIO"

that all looks correct, si?

absolutely! if i lost everything again, it would be the 4th time in 2 years all of my work would be completely lost. i have a laptop with a bad motherboard that has all my old projects on it. good advice and i will try it. i believe i used asio with audition so i'll try reloading that and see where it gets me. I am receiving no error codes or messages when using reaper. in fact, i've seen other posts on other forums where in the top right corner it says "disconnected" or something like that instead of what I have, "44100Hz 32bit 2/1ch 1024spls ~23/23ms ASIO"

that all looks correct, si?

32 bit?? I'm not sure if that's a problem, but that's a pretty high bit rate

I get the same issue too, but it's almost always because I've misconfigured my audio interface. (My interface is powered separately from the computer, so it's not guaranteed to be on when Reaper is.)

Did you check the preferences menu to make sure your interface is being detected correctly?

I have given up on my interface (Tascam us144) because 9 times out of 10 reaper crashes when booting when it's plugged in. so, until i pick up a new one i'm stuck using an m-audio audio buddy preamp straight into the mic or line in port on my desktop. all input configurations show up and have been used. This is killing me. this has been an ongoing problem. things don't work, then work, then stop working, then after 4 weeks of fiddling and giving up and coming back things work for no reason for a short time and then crap out again and i'm back with the same problems.

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND!!! :spank:

32 bit?? I'm not sure if that's a problem, but that's a pretty high bit rate

It might not have anything to do with it, but like Squibble says, 32 bit is awful high. I would change it to 24bit and see what happens.

i don't know how to change that setting.

Also, I believe that's in reference to my OS. I'm running a 64 bit OS but can run a 32 bit version of reaper. that's the one I use since most of my vst's don't run 64 bit.

am I totally wrong?

Also, I was forced to clean boot my desktop yesterday so i have NOTHING on here anymore. Guess this will be continually unsolved until I can get everything up and running, again.

stay tuned?

64 vs. 32 bit OS has nothing to do with audio A/D bit depth

and as far as I know there is no '32 bit' recording software.

integer 32 bit sampling is simply unnecessary (dynamic range supported by 32 bit sampling is not thermodynamically supportable) and at this time I know of no way to use floating point processes for digital conversion

none of which is meant to denigrate using floating point math to process/edit audio merely saying that there is no functional difference between digitizing in 24 bit or digitizing 24 bit integer and saving as 32 bit file (the 32 bit file will be bigger and has advantages when processing but the digitizing process is more or less the same)

as far as specific reason for your issue you are probably correct that you won't ever know. based on limited information it could be something as simple as malware or something as somplex as driver issues among dueling hard/software

reaper remains dependent on host (OS) audio engine & API a tradition and notorious culprit for this type of issue is conflict between audio and video cards

it did seem to be a driver issue. however, in attempting to update, roll back, delete, and/or reinstall drivers, it was saying everything is as it should be and that i have the most up to date or correct drivers available. i'll attempt to reload everything soon and if there is anything noticable that is different that i find i will repost. for now, i'm just really sad in that none of my toys work as they should. my amp has developed a buzz from ?sitting in my closet too long? and my bass was knocked over by my wife's cat and the nut was broken.

i believe something, besides my wife, is telling me to get out of this racket all together. :(

Oh sorry, I misunderstood you with the 32 bit part. I thought you were talking about the "bit" associated with sample rate.

32-bit for a bit rate is pretty high. I'm not sure if it'll fix the problem either, but it's worth a shot.

Open an empty project.
File -> Project Settings.
In the "Audio Settings" tab, change the WAV bit depth from 32-bit FP to 24-bit PCM
Click "Save as default project settings"

Now you won't have to worry about it. :)

Also, I'm not sure why you only have one output channel.. (unless you have only one speaker?)
Click the "44100Hz 32bit 2/1ch 1024spls ~23/23ms ASIO" and you'll be able to change the settings for that. Under "Output range," change the "last" option to your other speaker.

I know that might not help the main problem.. but it's a start.

Back